Job Title: Fundamental Energy Trader
Job Category: Wholesale Electricity Trading
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Greensburg, PA
Experience Required: Valued – However, SESCO is willing to train qualified candidates
Summary of SESCO Enterprises, LLC:
SESCO Enterprises, LLC is a FERC-registered Power Marketer with offices in Greensburg and Monroeville, Pennsylvania. SESCO engages in proprietary trading of short-term, liquid, wholesale, electricity products in the United States of America. In addition, SESCO trades electricity future products in CFTC-regulated futures markets. SESCO’s model of creating teams who trade as a portfolio has been one of its largest advantages since its inception in 2003. A trading team environment such as this is what promotes the passing on of trading knowledge from one generation of traders to the next. The trading team environment also helps to limit risk and maximize opportunity. The trading teams place a primary emphasis on analyzing the many fundamental drivers associated with trading these wholesale electricity products. However, SESCO also embraces the use of security constrained dispatch power flow models, quantitative analysis, and predictive modeling techniques to facilitate the analysis of those fundamental drivers. SESCO is now looking to add depth to its existing trading teams and appreciates your consideration. SESCO is also very interested in hiring Interns in this area.
SESCO is hiring individuals with work/life experiences and/or recent graduates or to join its Team as a Fundamental Trader in the wholesale electricity marketplace. The products primarily traded by SESCO are virtual bids and offers, up-to-congestion, and financial transmission rights. You will be responsible for working closely with a team of Fundamental Traders, Meteorologists, Power Flow Engineers, and Quantitative Analysts to both quantitatively and fundamentally analyze the market drivers, the market opportunity, and the risk associated with the trading activity of your team. You will be expected to work closely with the Quantitative Analysts and the other members of your Team to develop predictive models and analytical tool sets that will assist in your analysis and execution.
· A B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Economics, Engineering, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, or similar field.
· A highly motivated individual who is able to maintain a positive attitude.
· A willingness to work with incomplete data and to view that incomplete data as an opportunity, as well as a potential risk.
· An interest in assimilating large datasets and solving complex multi-variable problems.
· Detailed oriented – always striving for a complete understanding of the data and facts that prove a theory or outcome.
· A desire to work with others in a team environment; not as an individual.
· A willingness to constantly improve SESCO’s and your Team’s ability to analyze data by embracing the need for power flow modeling, quantitative analysis, and predictive modeling techniques.
· An individual who will thrive in a time sensitive environment such as a trading floor.
· A humble nature that is willing to admit that you will never have all of the answers and a willingness to thoroughly discuss any differences of opinion with your team members.
· A willingness to pass on your trading knowledge to your teammates and co-workers, understanding this transfer of knowledge will lead to a better work environment, better trading decisions, and ultimately a larger PNL.
· To analyze the effects of new generation and transmission projects on transmission congestion and energy prices.
· To analyze the impacts and risks of generation and transmission outages on transmission congestion and energy prices
· To analyze the impacts of the weather on consumer energy consumption, generation, and the transmission grid.
· To analyze the opportunities and risks associated with generation fuel pricing.
· To understand power flows and how to use them to assess opportunity and risk.
· To effectively communicate and collaborate with your direct team members and your co-workers, simplifying and explaining complex problems to different audiences.
· A willingness to be extremely detail oriented in reviewing the market fundamentals of the electricity markets and the results any predictive models or quantitative analysis.
· A willingness to view the trades of your Team as one or more portfolios, rather than individual trades, thus leading toward a risk adjusted set of portfolios
· A willingness to incorporate machine learning techniques to systematize portions of the data analysis.
· To drive on-going, incremental improvement of our fundamental processes, quantitative analysis, and predictive models.
· To prioritize multiple projects and deliver results in a time sensitive trading room environment.
· Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
· 401(k) plan, with a company match up to the annual limit
· Relocation package available
· A team trading environment
· On-site gym
· Will require working evenings and weekends as needed
· No regular travel required