Job Title: Fundamental Energy Trader Intern
Job Category: Wholesale Electricity Trading
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Greensburg, PA
Experience Required: Not required. SESCO is willing to train qualified candidates.
Summary of SESCO Enterprises, LLC:
SESCO Enterprises, LLC is a FERC-registered Power Marketer with offices in Greensburg and Monroeville, Pennsylvania. SESCO engages in proprietary trading of short-term, liquid, wholesale, electricity products in the United States of America. In addition, SESCO trades electricity future products in CFTC-regulated futures markets. SESCO’s model of creating teams who trade as a portfolio has been one of its largest advantages since its inception in 2003. A trading team environment such as this is what promotes the passing on of trading knowledge from one generation of traders to the next. The trading team environment also helps to limit risk and maximize opportunity. The trading teams place a primary emphasis on analyzing the many fundamental drivers associated with trading these wholesale electricity products. In doing so, SESCO embraces the use of security constrained economic dispatch power flow models, quantitative analysis techniques, and predictive modeling techniques to facilitate the analysis of those fundamental drivers. SESCO is now looking to add depth to its existing trading teams and appreciates your consideration of joining SESCO.
SESCO is hiring Interns to train as a Fundamental Energy Traders in the wholesale electricity marketplace. The products traded by SESCO are virtual bids and offers, up-to-congestion (spreads), and financial transmission rights. You will be responsible for working closely with a team of Fundamental Traders, Meteorologists, Power Flow Engineers, and Quantitative Analysts to both quantitatively and fundamentally analyze the market drivers, the market opportunity, and the risk associated with the trading activity of your team. You will be expected to work closely with the Quantitative Analysts and the other members of your Team to develop predictive models and analytical tool sets that will assist in your Team’s analysis and trade execution.
· Individuals working towards a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, or similar field.
· A highly motivated individual who is able to maintain a positive attitude.
· A willingness to work with incomplete data and to view that incomplete data as an opportunity, as well as a potential risk.
· An interest in assimilating large datasets and solving complex multi-variable problems.
· Very detail oriented – always striving for a complete understanding of the data and facts that prove a theory or outcome.
· A desire to work with others in a team environment; not as an individual.
· A willingness to constantly improve SESCO’s and your Team’s ability to analyze data by embracing the need for power flow modeling, quantitative analysis, and predictive modeling techniques.
· An individual who will thrive in a time sensitive environment such as a trading floor.
· A humble nature that is willing to admit that you will never have all of the answers and a willingness to thoroughly discuss any differences of opinion with your team members.
· To analyze the effects of new generation and transmission projects on transmission congestion and energy prices.
· To analyze the impacts and risks of generation and transmission outages on transmission congestion and energy prices
· To analyze the impacts of the weather on consumer energy consumption (load), generation, and the transmission grid.
· To analyze the opportunities and risks associated with generation fuel pricing.
· To understand power flows and how to use them to assess opportunity and risk.
· To effectively communicate and collaborate with your direct team members and your co-workers, simplifying and explaining complex problems to different audiences.
· A willingness to be extremely detail oriented in reviewing the market fundamentals of the electricity markets and the results of the predictive models and quantitative analysis.
· A willingness to incorporate machine learning techniques to systematize portions of the data analysis.
· To drive on-going, incremental improvement of our fundamental processes, quantitative analysis, and predictive models.
· To prioritize multiple projects and deliver results in a time sensitive trading room environment.
· Working in a team trading environment where you will have a great opportunity to hone the skills you have been learning.
· Working in an environment where you will have a great opportunity to learn from veterans in this field.
· Working for a company that is hopeful of hiring you as a full-time employee when you graduate.
· An on-site gym
· Will require working evenings and weekends as needed
· No travel required