This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires attest to their vaccination status before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700.
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a R&D Systems Research and Analysis professional to join our dynamic team.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Evaluate design proposal (CAD documents), BOD (Basis of Design) narratives, construction, operation and/or facility maintenance documents for advanced life science buildings and/or animal facilities.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert on issues meaningful to Biosecurity, Biosafety, & Chemical Security and Safety, operation and maintenance of complex facilities and effectively communicate results of analyses to explain options and trade-offs.
- Research, evaluate, design, and develop system solutions addressing Global and National challenges.
- Engage with team members, global partners, and US government decision-makers to deploy system solutions in biological and chemical risk management.
- Provide decision insight to customers in ill-defined or complex multi-domain problem areas in chemical and biosecurity, by applying critical thinking using a diversity of skills and expertise.
- Develop and broker problem scope and requirements with decision-makers to address near- and long-term problems with complex technical components.
- Develop, evaluate, and apply analytical and computational tools for the evaluation of complex system and systems-of-systems.
- Undertake domestic and international travel, including to low-, medium-, and high-risk countries, for periods of up to several weeks.
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s or Master’ degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Architecture, or similar technical field
- Relevant experience in design, construction, operation and/or facility maintenance of advanced life science buildings and/or animal facilities, ranging from lab equipment to utility systems and HVAC systems.
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to perform technical analysis, solve problems related to mechanical systems, repair these, and communicate analytical findings.
- Experience with development/reviews of user requirement specifications, commissioning/qualification/validation protocols and reports, maintenance plans etc.
- Ability to acquire a DOE Q clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in the above degree fields
- Professional/hands-on experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Design and/or management of high- and/or maximum-containment bioscience laboratories including decontamination strategies
- Mastering advanced qualitative, quantitative and semi-quantitative risk assessment methodologies for highly complex and technical systems
- Experience in development/reviews of preliminary design packages, operation/maintenance budgets and total cost of ownership calculations
- Experience with safety and security inspections/audits and development of emergency response plans
- Knowledge of the basic principles of biological and chemical risk management strategies
- Augmented reality, virtual reality, mixed reality, artificial intelligence (AI) and 3-dimension(3-D) modelling interest
- Documented strong project management planning and reporting skills and experience with drafting/reviewing CAD drawings of floorplans, PID diagrams, and general A&E design packages
- Proven ability to effectively communicate complex technical information and systems issues to domestic/international partners verbally and in writing and mastering international intercultural business negotiations
- Professional certifications in relevant technical areas, such as biosafety cabinet certifications according to international standards, calibration of equipment and commissioning of utility systems and facilities
- Fluent in English, and preferably one foreign language skillset
About Our Team
The 06825 Department is multi-disciplinary and focuses on advancing international global threat reduction goals by promoting safe, secure and responsible use of dangerous chemical and biological materials around the globe. The GCBS program provides specific technical advice to the US Government on issues related to countering the use of chemical and biological materials as weapons according to the Chemical Weapons Convention, the Biological Weapons Convention, and other global security measures. GCBS executes projects in the following areas: security system analysis, design and implementation; chemical and biological risk prioritization; outbreak control and management; information control & management; training in the areas of biosafety, chemical safety, security, risk awareness, lab design and upgrades, disease surveillance and diagnostics, and related topics; and global, regional, and country-specific analysis and assessments. These projects involve both US interests as well as those of various foreign countries and international organizations. For more information, please visit https://gcbs.sandia.gov/
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.