Under the direction of the managing clerk, maintains the firm’s permanent litigation docket and calendar diary and assists the managing clerk with litigation docketing related work by performing the below duties. Availability for some overtime or off-hour schedule is required.
- Completes all assigned docketing and calendaring work in a timely and accurate manner.
- Has a basic understanding of the use and function of the firm’s docketing/calendaring system, CourtAlert and/or CompuLaw, and is able to run standard reports.
- Reviews litigation documents for relevant dates and effectively uses the docketing and calendaring system to index court documents and enter applicable dates.
- Collects, maintains and updates needed information on attorneys, such as bar admissions and e-filing passwords.
- Contributes to knowledge management-related initiatives as they pertain to litigation case files, docketing, records management and other similar areas of function within the litigation department.
- Assists the managing clerk with electronic case filing in CM/ECF, as well as courthouse hard copy filings and document retrieval.
- Assists the managing clerk with searching and extracting information from court-related databases, websites and relevant docketing and calendaring applications including PACER, Lexis Courtlink, and West KM.
- Complies with department and firm administrative procedures and policies.
- Assists with department projects as needed and performs other work-related duties as assigned by the managing clerk.
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality of the firm’s internal affairs and client information. Understands ethics of position including ethical rules in regards to confidentiality, billing, and client representation and advocacy.
- Able to interact effectively and professionally with clients and all levels of personnel, including attorneys, co-workers, and administrators.
- Able to own professional development by seeking out feedback and learning new skills.
- Must be flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Able to plan, organize and complete multiple related activities.
- Must deliver high quality work product and have the ability to follow up and follow through.
- Must possess the ability to work independently, as well as on a team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work in a multi-office environment and a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
- Must take ownership of deliverables and be accountable.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Prior experience in the Managing Attorney/Clerk’s Office at a large law firm is highly preferred. The position involves significant contact with lawyers, court and clerical staff. This requires solid interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. The litigation clerk must be a self-starter, highly organized and a team player.
Incumbent is expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. The above job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements. Firm management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.