The Attorney Development Specialist (“ADS”) works closely with the Senior Attorney Development Managers and the Attorney Development Managers (together, the “ADMs”) to provide critical support to the associate development and staffing functions. Working in a fast-paced environment, which requires direct contact with attorneys and staff, the ADS, in collaboration with the associate development team, is responsible for associate staffing, utilizing viDesktop and other systems. Staffing decisions are made in conjunction with ADMs and the Attorney Development Partners (“ADPs”) and take into account factors such as associate utilization rates, associate professional development, partner and client needs, and larger firm goals such as diversity and inclusion and effective cross-office staffing. The ADS assists with other projects and processes related to associate staffing and workforce allocation, the quarterly performance review process, and general maters and initiatives relating to an attorney’s overall experience at the firm, as well as other projects and processes related to Attorney Talent and Human Resources.
1. Responsible for meeting staffing needs in a fast-paced environment and working collaboratively with ADPs and ADMs to ensure staffing decisions are made in a thoughtful, efficient, and effective manner. Providing appropriate staffing in response to requests requires close attention to and monitoring of associate availability, experience, professional development, and retention, as well as consideration of diversity and inclusion imperatives and goals.
2. Responsible for developing and executing an efficient staffing function, documenting the requirements and working with technical staff and ADMs to implement these requirements.
3. Supports ADMs and practice groups by gathering and regularly disseminating associate hours information and tracking, aggregating and synthesizing data on associate availability and utilization rates.
4. Responsible for reporting out on associate development information related to work assignments and performance feedback on a regular basis.
5. Partners with ADM, ADPs and other attorney talent functions regarding capacity and target planning.
6. Assists ADMs and ADPs with the associate feedback processes by gathering, editing, and organizing feedback and entering it into viDesktop and drafts performance reviews. Ensures associates are receiving clear and actionable feedback as well as useful going forward guidance.
7. Develops strong working relationships with attorneys to effectively support them and be responsive to their needs.
8. Supervises Attorney Development assistants and collaborates with and supports junior members of Attorney Development team in their work and professional development.
9. Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Understands details within a larger context and possesses excellent attention to detail.
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving skills and a high level of responsiveness.
- Has ability to interact effectively and sensitively with all levels of personnel, including attorneys, management staff and support staff.
- Demonstrates a positive, proactive and self-directed approach.
- Works independently as well as within a team environment; both with strong follow up and follow through abilities to ensure work is completed appropriately.
- Responds quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; able to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple, detailed tasks.
- Able to plan, organize and carry out multiple related activities.
- Able to work in a multiple office environment across geographies.
- Able to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain the strict confidentiality of the firm’s internal and personnel affairs and information.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s or other undergraduate degree required. Minimum of 2 to 5 years experience in attorney talent or related field required.
- Established proficiency in the use of computer programs including Microsoft Office, particularly Advanced Excel. Knowledge of electronic databases, viDesktop and Survey Monkey a plus.
- Proven dedication to excellence in customer service.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Prioritizes and multitasks for efficient and effective work production.
- Establishes and follows needed procedures.
- Understands processes and how complex systems are interrelated.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Understanding of and familiarity with the diverse practice areas within a large law firm a plus.
Incumbents are expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Staffing coverage must be provided on evenings and weekends. The above job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements. Firm management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.