- Experience with SQL, SSIS, SSRS or SSMS
- Work done with Spark, PySpark and HDFS tools like Apache Hive
- Experience with data warehousing and building ETL packages
- Work completed toward a bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as computer science, information systems or business intelligence or 4 years of equivalent practical experience
- Experience designing and supporting database and table schemas for new and evolving sources of data
- Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
- Ability to be a team player
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise and actionable manner
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Experience with AWS, S3, EC2 and Lambdas
- Work completed toward a master’s degree or Ph.D. in a relevant technical field (e.g., computer science, computer systems engineering, information systems)
- Extensive experience solving analytics problems using quantitative approaches
- Proven passion for generating insights from data
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods generally and particularly in the areas of modeling and business analytics
Our Big Data Engineer Interns work closely with team members to help ensure the stability, usability and scalability of the big data platforms, while assisting team members with platform monitoring and process creation.
- Build distributed processes to transform data
- Create database schemas to store, query and transform large datasets
- Monitor and troubleshoot performance and scalability issues in a large-scale data storage environment, including adding resources, improving existing processes and adapting solutions for additional scalability
- Follow the design principles and best practices defined by the team for big data techniques and architecture
- Dig into data integrity issues in the big data platforms and coordinate with other team members to help fix them
Who We Are
Rocket Companies® is a Detroit-based company made up of businesses that provide simple, fast and trusted digital solutions for complex transactions. The name comes from our flagship business, now known as Rocket Mortgage®, which was founded in 1985. Today, we’re a publicly traded company involved in many different industries, including mortgages, fintech, real estate, automotive and more. We’re insistently different in how we look at the world and committed to an inclusive workplace where every voice is heard. And we’re passionate about the work we do, and it shows. We’ve been ranked #5 on Fortune’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2021, as well as ranking #1 for Fortune’s Best Large Workplaces in Financial Services and Insurance List in 2021.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.
We are proud equal opportunity employers and committed to providing an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all candidates and team members. Employment decisions, including hiring decisions, are not based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with state and federal law.