The Technology & Engineering organization is comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, and our advanced Research & Development lab – the Research Center. By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way.
The Additive Manufacturing Process and Capability Center (AMPCC) encompasses a critical mass of Additive Manufacturing process and industrialization experts, the necessary equipment, and develop the strategic collaborations needed to rapidly mature the technology and manufacturing readiness of the critical technologies. The aim of the Center is to accelerate the development and deployment of additive manufactured products and systems for our business units.
The Postdoctoral program is of limited length (1-2 years in duration). The program will build expertise and experience and make valuable professional connections in an industrial research and development environment through the Postdoctoral research program at the Raytheon Technologies Research Center.
The Postdoctoral Additive Manufacturing Process Researcher will be responsible for one or more of the following activities as they relate to the AMPCC, including:
- Investigate the effects of machine parameters on build quality and properties of fabricated parts
- Explore the capabilities of newly acquired advanced tools and equipment
- Utilize, develop and deploy novel sensing methods and data analysis schema to increase process stability and efficiency
- Characterize fabricated parts to understand defects and mechanical properties
- Advance in-situ sensing capabilities for in-process defect detection
- Execute structured experiments to define process parameters and identify build limitations
- Monitor, troubleshoot and correct issues associated with process or equipment
- Provide input on the Design Standards for new product development
- Utilize data driven analysis to support root cause investigations
- Develop and maintain process specifications
- Support the development of material specifications
Qualifications & Competencies
The preferred candidate should have a strong understanding of engineering principles and hands on experience working with laboratory equipment. She/he must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, collaborative team environment focused on innovation and have demonstrated both verbal and written communication skills including:
- Strong presentation, planning, problem solving, organizational, project management and decision-making skills
- Experience with metal laser powder-bed-fusion additive manufacturing techniques and equipment
- Experience with software and tools used in Additive Manufacturing including CAD packages
- Advanced mathematics and data analysis skills with a basic understanding of statistics
- Experience using data analytics, problem solving and process control tools
Education & Experience
Candidates for this position are required to have recently completed a PhD degree in Mechanical, Chemical or Manufacturing Engineering or a related technical field. Preference will be given to those with Additive Manufacturing experience. A minimum 3.5 GPA is preferred.
US Citizenship required.