The Technology & Engineering organization is comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, and our advanced Research & Development lab – the Raytheon Technologies Research Center. By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way.
The Additive Manufacturing Process Capability Center (AMPCC) encompasses a critical mass of Additive Manufacturing process and industrialization experts, the necessary equipment, and develop the strategic collaborations needed to rapidly mature the technology and manufacturing readiness of the critical technologies. The aim of the Center is to accelerate the development and deployment of additive manufactured products and systems for our business units.
The Post-Doc program is of limited length (1-2 years in duration). The program will build expertise and experience and make valuable professional connections in an industrial research and development environment through the postdoctoral research program at the Raytheon Technologies Research Center
The Core Technology Post-Doc will be responsible for one or more of the following activities as they relate to the AMPCC, including:
- Physics-based modeling of metallic and polymer additive manufacturing processes including prediction of build process responses such as melting, solidification, residual stress, thermal distortion, microstructure, defects and properties
- Design, execution, and analysis of experiments for the validation of physics-based models and improvement of simulation capabilities
- Characterization of as-deposited and post-processed additively manufactured materials
- Development of custom build and post-processing strategies to tailor AM-produced materials for specific applications and operational environments
- Application of developed strategies to business-unit-relevant parts and artifact to demonstrate performance and/or cost improvements relative to incumbent techniques
Qualifications & Competencies
The preferred candidate should have a strong understanding of engineering principles and experience with additive manufacturing. They must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, collaborative team environment focused on innovation and have demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills. Additional relevant skills include:
- Strong presentation, planning, problem solving, organizational, project management and decision-making skills
- Experience using commercial finite element modeling software and their user subroutines (e.g. in Abaqus, ANSYS, COMSOL etc.) and/or microstructural modeling tools (e.g. Thermo-Calc, Pandat)
- Experience with laser powder-bed-fusion additive manufacturing techniques and equipment
- Object oriented computer programming (java, C++, Matlab, Python, etc.)
- Experience with material characterization techniques (e.g. XRD, CT, optical metallography, EBSD)
Education & Experience
Candidates for this position are required to have recently completed a PhD degree in Mechanical, Materials Science or Manufacturing Engineering or a related technical field. Preference will be given to those with Additive Manufacturing experience. A minimum 3.0 GPA is required.