Radiant is a startup developing Kaleidos, a 1.2 MWe portable nuclear microreactor. Based in El Segundo, CA and founded by former SpaceX engineers, Radiant’s mission is to directly replace diesel generators used in remote locations and as backup power sources. Kaleidos is designed to be factory produced and operated as a fleet, enabling the lowest operating costs and deployment timelines. Our safe, economical, and reliable power sources will be demonstrated through a full-scale prototype on a 5-year development timeline – faster than any modern competing design. Radiant partners with several national laboratories and universities to perform regulatory, qualification, and research work that supports the fast-paced in-house design. Radiant is funded by awards from the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense, and by numerous venture capital firms.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Entry level nuclear engineer to aid design efforts for the Kaleidos Fission Battery (KFB), a 1 MWe high-temperature gas microreactor utilizing Tri-Structural Isotropic (TRISO) particle fuel in a prismatic block design.
- Develop analysis cases to automate reactor design calculations within our simulation pipeline.
- Participate in development of multiphysics models.
- Investigate various methods of reactivity control for regulating power, preventing accident scenarios, and extending core lifetime.
- Provide expertise on nuclear engineering to engineers in other functional areas.
- Must be willing to relocate to Radiant office in Los Angeles, CA.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Hold at least Bachelor’s degree in nuclear engineering, physics, engineering physics or equivalent degree from accredited institution
- Understand reactor physics fundamentals: neutron transport, heat transfer, fluid dynamics
- Familiarity with analysis code: reading syntax, developing analysis cases, object-oriented programming principles
- Communicate effectively within a collaborative and interdisciplinary group
- Have an attitude of ownership and mentorship over core design aspects
- Hands-on experience owning or building projects
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Analysis experience in Monte Carlo neutron transport codes: Serpent, MCNP
- MOOSE framework and applications: MOOSE, BISON, RELAP-7
- Specific programming language experience: Python, C#
- Reactor design optimization experience
- Automation experience
- Test design experience
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter Benefits, and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time