Machine Learning research internship
The world is changing at an accelerating rate. But we cannot take in the information fast enough, let alone make sense of it. We are fundamentally limited by the speed at which we read and write — the speed of human thought. The challenges facing decision-makers today require a radically new technology.
Primer is at the forefront of the natural language processing revolution. Our artificial intelligence platform is capable of reading text at a rate of millions of documents per hour, extracting information and updating a knowledge graph of billions of entities. It is capable of answering natural language questions and generating the first draft of natural language analytical reports in seconds. Our mission is to empower our customers by vastly reducing the cost of curiosity. What once took days of research can happen instantly.
Our customers include some of the world’s largest corporations, financial institutions, and government agencies in the world. You can learn more about Primer’s technology and the problems we solve at our blog, as well as in recent media coverage of our work.
Primer is looking for talented college and graduate students with a passion for problem solving, research, and building tools you can use. We want people who help us expand what is possible. At Primer, you’ll grow your technical expertise while working hands-on with some of the world’s largest companies and elite national security organizations to solve their most pressing challenges.
What You’ll Do
- Work on a truly challenging machine learning problem with a real-world application.
- Develop strong skills in data exploration, data cleaning, modeling, programming, and software architecture.
- Imagine, plan, and create your own NLP research project. We are currently working on:
- Named entity linking
- Customizable abstractive summarization
- ML model explainability
- Zero-shot entity recognition
- and a long tail of applied ML
- Go from idea to fully deployed in production.
- Option to submit your work to top-tier NLP conferences like ACL and EMNLP
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining their BA/BS, Master’s, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, or other quantitative fields. Or work that demonstrates equivalent knowledge.
- Eagerness to learn new techniques and to enjoy open-ended projects.
- Proficiency in Python and machine learning, particularly NLP problems like sequence-to-sequence generation, document classification etc
- Experience in PyTorch and Transformer-based language models is a big plus.
Frequently Asked Questions
When and how long is the internship?
- Internships will last about 3 months generally.
Where will the internship be?
- Primer Offices are located in San Francisco and Washington, DC. Interns have the option to work remotely.
When are applications due?
- Applications will be accepted and evaluated on a rolling basis.
What is the overall interview process?
- The process starts with the initial resume screening. Primer will then reach out directly with qualified applications to schedule virtual interviews.
Is the internship paid?
Will I be considered for a full time position?
- Yes, our conversion rate from intern to full time is excellent. The ML internship is a great way to land in a job as a full-time ML engineer or research scientist at Primer. We are proud of how many people at Primer came through the internship.
Primer is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.