The Social Innovation Forum (SIF) builds the networks and capacity to accelerate social change in Greater Boston. SIF connects innovative nonprofit organizations with an ever-growing community of volunteers, investors and practitioners who contribute their time, talents, resources and money to drive positive social impact. Last year, 4,904 people engaged in our social change “marketplace,” building relationships and connections that accelerate positive social change. It is by mobilizing the members of Greater Boston that SIF is able to catalyze the impact of over 100 social impact organizations since its launch in 2003. To learn more about the Social Innovation Forum’s impact, check out this video: http://www.socialinnovationforum.org/our-impact.
As Program Coordinator, you’ll share our belief that we can meaningfully drive social change by providing a range of supports to local grassroots nonprofit organizations, while leveraging the resources that already exist within Greater Boston. You will play a critical role as the primary point of contact for our vibrant and diverse programmatic community, including prospective and current program participants, volunteers, and in-kind partners.
You will focus your time and talent on supporting SIF’s flagship program, the Social Innovator Accelerator. Each year, SIF selects a cohort of high-performing nonprofit organizations (Social Innovators) and helps them build capacity, gain visibility, expand their networks, and connect with philanthropic and in-kind resources. The Accelerator engages over 100 volunteers, coaches, and in-kind service providers and hosts more than 30 events annually, from small-group meetings to more formal events with 300-400 attendees. You will also have the opportunity to support additional programmatic initiatives, such as Capacity Camps and Alumni programs.
You’ll be a wonderful addition to our team if you are an organized, results-oriented individual who is eager to support efforts to build and execute effective programs. It’s your ambition to be a creative, strategic and driven champion for SIF that will help you excel in the role. This role reports to the Program Manager and works closely with SIF’s program team and the Communications team.
- Work closely with the Program Manager on coordinating and managing the nomination, application, and evaluation processes of the Social Innovator Accelerator AND Provide logistical support for other programs, such as Capacity Camps and Alumni support initiatives
- In partnership with the Program Manager, manage and maintain the application online portal system
- Manage communication with potential applicants, selected Innovators, and volunteers
- Maintain accurate records for programs and events in Salesforce, including updates for Innovators, Accelerator applicants, and other program participants
- Identify and recruit members of the nomination and evaluation committees
- Research and write Social Issue Track descriptions for the Social Innovator Accelerator Program
- Assist with managing the design and content creation of SIF’s publications, including the Social Impact Investment Guide, the Capacity Camp deliverables, Progress Reports, Applicant Guide, and other materials
- Support the Program Manager in hiring and supervising summer interns
- Coordinate scheduling, timelines, and logistics for a broad range of program events, such as information sessions and Innovator meetings
- Manage planning and execution of the evaluation sessions and site visits
- Work closely with the Program Manager and other SIF team members on planning and execution of events, including Social Issue Talk series, Social Innovator Showcase, Winter Welcome, Capacity Camp events, and Alumni Network events
An ideal candidate will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and will bring an approach of collaborative partnership in coordinating meetings and events, communicating with stakeholders, and proactively addressing issues and challenges. An ideal candidate will also exhibit cultural humility, a social justice orientation, and an openness to learning.
Each candidate brings their own unique combination of strengths, skills and lived and professional experiences to a role. Reviewing the qualifications listed below can help you to better understand what will be expected of you as a member of the SIF team. We do not expect candidates to meet all of the criteria. If you think you would be a strong candidate for this role, please apply even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications listed. Due to SIF’s event schedule, a willingness to work some early mornings and evenings is required for this position.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience with preference for project and/or program management experience in the nonprofit (part-time, work study or internship included), and a desire to learn and grow
- No degrees required
- Experience in efficiently and effectively managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail orientation, professionalism, maturity, and discretion.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including strong editing skills
- A strong interest in/knowledge of the range of social issues our Innovators are working to address
- Familiarity and/or lived experience in the Greater Boston community highly valued
- Comfort leveraging technology, including experience with CRM databases (experience using Salesforce for Nonprofits is a plus), Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and online application/evaluation tools and/or a willingness to learn new web tools and computer programs as needed
- Cultural humility and an ability to build strong and lasting relationships with various stakeholders
- Commitment to SIF’s mission and to capacity building as an approach to strengthening the nonprofit sector
- Flexibility and an ability to thrive and learn in our fast-paced environment while bringing an enthusiastic, collaborative approach to your work
OUR CORE VALUES
Engaged Community SIF’s “marketplace approach” centers on a connected and collaborative community in which nonprofit leaders, donors, volunteers, and others put their skills to work most effectively towards the shared goal of addressing inequities and accelerating social impact in Greater Boston and beyond.
Deep Relationships Building and fostering authentic and trusting relationships among members of our community is core to how we do our work. SIF makes these connections with intentionality and care, and we find joy in seeing them grow and evolve.
Continuous Learning Our team actively seeks to gain new knowledge and understanding from others, with others, and independently. We welcome feedback, engage in honest reflection, and focus on ongoing improvement. We also share our learning with others whenever possible.
Nimbleness SIF is willing to take risks, test new approaches, and pivot in order to respond to emerging priorities. We are adaptable and recognize the need to continuously adjust and innovate in an ever-changing world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion At the Social Innovation Forum (SIF), diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of our core values. We commit to continuous learning and acknowledge that making progress in these areas will be an ongoing journey. We invite all members of our community to engage in this learning with us, share their perspectives, and give us feedback along the way.
MAKING THE DECISION TO APPLY
SIF is a vibrant organization with a deep commitment to creating positive social change. We work in a highly collaborative environment that values learning. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, SIF is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
This position is currently remote, though we are expecting all employees to return to our Boston office as soon as we can safely return to the workplace following the COVID-19 pandemic. The Program Coordinator will need to be available to commute with some consistency to and from SIF’s Boston-based office.
If you think you have what it takes, please answer a few questions following the application link and submit an updated resume. Cover letter is not required. We appreciate your time and will review and respond to all applications received.
We hope to have phone interviews in early October with select candidates followed by video interviews with Sarah Dingee, Program Manager and Melissa Duggan, Director of Strategy and Operations at SIF. A few finalists will have a virtual interview day with other staff and leadership at SIF followed by a holistic reference check process. The expected start date for this role is November/December 2021.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Social Innovation Forum offers a robust compensation and benefits package including high quality health and dental insurance, four weeks of paid time off, and access to a retirement plan. The salary range for this role is $40,000-$45,000 and is commensurate with experience.
————————EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER————————-
SIF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, SIF is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership.