Mechanical Design Engineer, Hydrogen
Status: Exempt (salaried)
Department: Hydrogen Generation
Position will be part time in office and part time remote/work from home.
This Mechanical Design Engineer position is within the Electrolyzer Systems Solutions business unit which aims to facilitate the world’s transition to zero carbon fuels by means of water electrolysis at scale. Plug Power is leading the development of the Green Hydrogen Economy and we are excited for you to be a part of this effort!!
This role is responsible for the design, development, documentation, testing and continual support of mechanical systems for the power distribution and process control of hydrogen generation, compression, storage, and dispensing used in Plug Power’s GenFuel hydrogen infrastructure. This role requires close interaction with the engineering, manufacturing, and construction teams to ensure developing design efforts are coordinated with active implementations. The role also requires close interaction with the supply chain, quality, manufacturing and service teams to ensure designs meet cross functional requirements as well as relevant codes & standards. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, able to handle multiple assignments and willing to learn and adapt in a fast-paced product engineering organization.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Use PTC Creo to create accurate, complete, and concise engineering documentation including large system assembly models, individual part drawings, and bills of materials.
- Build and maintain knowledge regarding Plug Power technology including current design specifications and constraints
- Create accurate, complete and concise engineering documentation.
- Create new system designs and/or modify existing system designs with a focus on manufacturability, serviceability, product quality, and adherence to codes and standards
- Coordinate and lead design changes through the enterprise change process.
- Must be able to clearly communicate ideas and issues in both written and verbal form.
- Strong hands on problem solving skills
- Strong teamwork a must.
- Represent Plug Power in a professional manner in all interactions; support the philosophy of the organization to provide high-performing technology to maximize customer satisfaction.
- Flexible and adaptable to changes in requirements, priorities and schedules.
- Light travel may be required to support supplier qualification and equipment commissioning.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in relevant engineering discipline
- Experience with 3D CAD modeling.
- Experience reading Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s) a plus.
- Must be capable of working independently, in a fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities with strong attention to detail.
- Superior communication skills.
- Ability to manage projects and multi-task effectively.
- Ability to role model high standards of professionalism.
- Excellent follow-through.
- Must be driven and self-motivated.
- Must possess the highest ethical standards and a supreme commitment to quality.