Electrical Design Engineer, Hydrogen
Status: Exempt (salaried)
Position will be part time in office and part time remote/work from home.
This Electrical Design Engineer position is within the Electrolyzer Systems Solutions business unit which aims to facilitate the world’s transition to zero carbon fuels by means of water electrolysis at scale. Plug Power is leading the development of the Green Hydrogen Economy and we are excited for you to be a part of this effort!!
This role is responsible for the design, development, documentation, testing and continual support of electrical systems for the power distribution and process control of hydrogen generation, compression, storage, and dispensing used in Plug Power’s GenFuel hydrogen infrastructure. This role requires close interaction with the engineering, manufacturing, and construction teams to ensure developing design efforts are coordinated with active implementations. The role also requires close interaction with the supply chain, quality, manufacturing and service teams to ensure designs meet cross functional requirements as well as relevant codes & standards. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, able to handle multiple assignments and willing to learn and adapt in a fast-paced product engineering organization.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop electrical schematics, harness drawings, 1 line drawings, field wiring diagrams and electrical component specifications.
- Determine electrical requirements for motors, VFD’s, sensors and instrumentation.
- Create accurate, complete and concise engineering documentation.
- Write clear assembly procedures and validations test documents
- Coordinate and lead design changes through the enterprise change process.
- Must be able to clearly communicate ideas and issues in both written and verbal form.
- Strong hands on problem solving skills
- Strong teamwork a must.
- Represent Plug Power in a professional manner in all interactions; support the philosophy of the organization to provide high-performing technology to maximize customer satisfaction.
- Flexible and adaptable to changes in requirements, priorities and schedules.
- Some travel required to support supplier qualification and equipment commissioning.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Associates Degrees in Electrical Engineering or Technology
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Experience with electric codes (NEC, UL, NFPA, IEC) a plus.
- Experience with specifying and troubleshooting controls hardware a plus.
- Experience reading Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s) a plus.
- Must be capable of working independently, in a fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities with strong attention to detail.
- Superior communication skills.
- Ability to manage projects and multi-task effectively.
- Ability to role model high standards of professionalism.
- Excellent follow-through.
- Must be driven and self-motivated.
- Must possess the highest ethical standards and a supreme commitment to quality.