Apply to be an AmeriCorps Playworks Coach today to change the lives of kids in your community tomorrow!
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Do you possess a desire to support kids to create healthy school communities? Join our team and bring your passion for play to a school near you.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to get kids physically active and transform children’s social and emotional health. We believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid and are changing school climates by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day.
Playworks Coaches are AmeriCorps members. As an AmeriCorps member you will join nearly 300,000 other members and over one million alumni nationally who have committed their time and talents to strengthen communities. Partnership organizations, like Playworks, engage with AmeriCorps members to improve the communities they serve.
How you’ll make an impact as an AmeriCorps Member serving at Playworks
You will improve the school climate at a local elementary school by ensuring that every kid gets to play every day. You will engage kids and educators every school day, making a positive impact on the playground, in the classroom and in the school community. We will train you and support you on this journey so that you can:
- Create opportunities for safe and inclusive play, on the playground and throughout the school, by being an effective facilitator and a caring, consistent adult to ensure that every kid has the opportunity to play every day.
- Implement a youth leadership program by providing student leadership opportunities at recess and implementing curriculum for a cohort of students before or after school.
- Lead individual classes to build youth leadership skills, promote cooperation, and introduce new games that kids can play on the playground, including the rules and boundaries.
- Enlist and coach students in interscholastic/developmental sports leagues that might include basketball, volleyball, or soccer.
- Work with the school to create opportunities to engage families and the wider school community.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers who will assist with your programming to strengthen school climate.
- Develop a strong school culture by influencing, motivating, and building rapport with faculty, administrators, parents, and volunteers.
- Participate in national days of service and some weekend service projects in the greater community.