Perkins&Will’s Corporate Communication Team is seeking an enterprising storyteller/writer with proven experience as a professional news reporter. In support of the firm’s strategic objectives, this “in-house journalist” will research ideas, interview sources, and write compelling stories about our firm’s projects, people, programs, and ideas.
Prior experience writing about architecture and design in clear, relatable terms that clients and community members understand is strongly preferred. Equally as important is experience managing complex, nuanced editorial projects with multiple stakeholders.
Preferably based in New York City, and reporting to our firm’s Director of Communication, the in-house journalist joins a growing global communication team whose focus is editorial excellence in brand-building. The ideal candidate will expertly balance journalistic writing and storytelling with strategic brand positioning.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identifying storytelling opportunities that support the firm’s strategic objectives, and then actively researching, developing, and writing those stories for a variety of in-house media, including digital and print collateral.
- Further strengthening the firm’s editorial best practices across all of the firm’s communication verticals.
- Coaching/training marketing staff and design leaders on journalistic writing/storytelling best practices, as needed.
- Providing writing, copyediting, and proofreading support for various collateral, as needed.
Critical skills include:
- Demonstrated passion for, and understanding of, architecture and design.
- Proven understanding of the discipline of journalism and a demonstrated ability to identify, research, and tell stories in accordance with journalistic standards.
- Mastery of English grammar and spelling.
- Familiarity with Associated Press Style.
- Exceptional organizational, time management, and project management skills.
- Very strong “people skills,” with the ability to work collaboratively across teams, departments, and disciplines.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and perform well under high-pressure, deadline-driven situations.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive both independently and as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to self-start and self-motivate.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as a professional journalist, preferably with a focus on the A/E/C industry.
- Degree in journalism, communications, marketing communications, or related field.
Please include resume, a cover letter that helps us understand why you’re the best fit for the role, and three writing samples.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)