Parabon is recruiting a DNA Nanotechnology Research Scientist in its therapeutics division. Candidates should have experience conceiving, designing, synthesizing and characterizing DNA-based nanostructures, and be willing to relocate to Huntington, West Virginia.
The DNA Nanotechnology Research Scientist will:
- Conceive, design, synthesize, and characterize advanced DNA-based nanostructures, methods and models, utilizing mastery of standard principles, theories, and techniques to solve specific problems and create unique solutions within the field of DNA nanotechnology, including but not limited to the emerging fields of DNA structural nanotechnology;
- Plan, direct, and execute cell culture assays testing the efficacy of DNA nanostructures designed to modulate specific cell functions. Data from these studies will be pivotal in support of animal studies conducted by collaborative investigators;
- Perform hands-on laboratory experiments, including but not limited to, oligonucleotide modifications, purification and characterization methods (e.g., gel electrophoresis, UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy, light scattering, chemical synthesis, modification and purification using DNA/RNA object assembly protocols, synthetic oligonucleotides, DNA design related software, atomic force microscopy (AFM), image analysis, optical and fluorescence microscopy and fluorescence spectroscopy);
- Prepare samples of appropriate stoichiometry, assemble nanostructures using designed strands, and test them;
- Review scientific literature to remain abreast of current scientific techniques and methods;
- Evaluate data from experiments, develop and document procedures and protocols for conducting experiments, and develop and implement criteria that allows verification and replication of outcomes;
- Assist with writing papers, proposals, and patent disclosures; deliver presentations as needed, and develop new product concepts;
- Maintain the day-to-day functionality of the laboratory equipment and laboratory environment, ensuring compliance with Company policies and procedures, and regulatory accreditation standards; and
- Serve as technical resource to management and scientific team, providing scientific support for the overall objectives of the Company; may serve as Principal Investigator on development initiatives.
- Please visit the following link to learn more: https://parabon-nanolabs.com/therapeutics/
- A Ph.D. degree in chemistry, biochemistry or polymer science;
- 1 year of research or laboratory experience in designing and constructing nanostructures using synthetic oligonucleotides, performing chemical synthesis and developing protocols for DNA/RNA object assembly;
- Demonstrable experience in the design and assembly of DNA structures with multiple crossovers and/or branches;
- Working knowledge of chemical & biological hygiene and laboratory safety methods;
- Demonstrable proficiency with common laboratory skills, such as pipetting, use of basic laboratory equipment, and adherence to standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Experience conducting general laboratory maintenance including stocking shelves, ordering and receiving supplies, cleaning work areas and maintenance of records;
- US citizen or a permanent resident;
- Excellent written and oral English communication; and
- Willing to relocate to Huntington, West Virginia
Due to the nature of the work and the funding sponsors, candidates must be US citizens or permanent residents (green card holders).
Desired Qualifications, But Not Required
- Use and maintenance of Good Laboratory Practices (cGLP) in a commercial environment;
- Experience setting up and running routine molecular genetic assays involving handling, extracting, purifying, amplifying, hybridizing and analyzing DNA, peptide, RNA, and other chemical/biological samples;
- Experience conducting assays in the execution of chemical, bio-molecular, and biological studies, e.g., PCR, column chromatography, and spectroscopy;
- Knowledge of vaccine development;
- Knowledge in cell biology and immunology and experience with in vitro assays, cell culture, HPLC, microscopy and related techniques and technology are highly desired;
- Experience with atomic force microscopy (AFM), image analysis tools, ultracentrifugation, or nanoparticle tracking analysis;
- Experience performing experiments involving cell culture, HPLC, microscopy, and chemical synthesis;
- Experience with scientific programming and scripting in Python; and
- Experience in a commercial laboratory with established QA/QC program.