LAN Administrator (Information Systems Specialist 4)
LAN Administrator (Information Systems Specialist 4)
- Portland | DEQ | Multnomah Street
- Initial Posting Date:
- 11/19/2021Application Deadline:
- Department of Environmental QualitySalary Range:
- $4,209 – $6,360Position Type:
- EmployeePosition Title:
- LAN Administrator (Information Systems Specialist 4)Job Description:
- LAN Administrator (Information Systems Specialist 4)
- The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed preferred qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualification. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
Are you passionate about preserving, enhancing, and protecting Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
- The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) currently has a full-time opportunity for LAN Administrator (Information Systems Specialist 4) in Portland, Oregon.
- The Central Services Division provides operational support to agency divisions and work teams through ensuring both compliance with applicable laws, rules and policy and effective customer service to all stakeholders. This division is responsible for information services, financial services, human resources, organizational development (including policy and training), records management, health and safety and coordination of facility leases.
- Information Services (IS) Section has 4 subsections, led by 2 additional managers: End User Support, Operations and Implementation, Software Development and Integration and IT Projects and Strategy.
- The IT End User Support Team of the Information Services (IS) Section supports the Department by planning, developing, implementing, and providing technical support for the DEQ’s computer systems, such as hardware, operating systems, networking, database, email and other core systems. The end users supported include, but are not limited to, internal DEQ staff, external DEQ customers, and other DEQ partners. The Information Systems Specialist within the IT End User Support division operates, maintains, and installs systems; designs and constructs or assists with constructing new systems or modifying and enhancing existing systems; and helps users do their work and solve system problems. DEQ’s mission is to be a leader in restoring, maintaining, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land and water. Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
- What you will do!
- You will provide technical support, training, problem resolution, and implementation coordination for the Headquarters Local Area Network (LAN) and stand-alone computer software and hardware.
- What’s in it for you!
- The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 11 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon’s environment, apply today!
- This is a full-time, AFSCME represented position.
- This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
- What are we looking for?
- Minimum Qualifications: Three (3) years of information systems experience in LAN administration or an Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a closely related field, OR completion of a two (2) year accredited vocational training program in information technology or a related field and 1 year of information systems experience in LAN administration.
- Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following:
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to prioritize workload to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
- Experience providing technical consultation and advice to managers, technical and professional IT staff, and system users both internal and external.
- Ability to deal diplomatically with upset or adversarial stakeholders in person and on the phone.
- Information systems experience in communications, software, hardware, and data.
- Experience analyzing and diagnosing user problems and implementing solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working Conditions:
- Normal office conditions and working hours. Some state and interstate travel to attend conferences, evening meetings and/or to provide technical trainings and other project related activities. Often works under tight deadlines. Priorities often shifted – requires flexibility.
- Must be able to work evening/weekend/holiday in response to emergency conditions such as system malfunction.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Helpful Tips:
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Please save a copy of the job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job posting closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Information:
- The State of Oregon requires all executive branch employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Successful candidates for this position must submit vaccination documentation or be approved for an exception prior to their first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of full vaccination or receipt of an approved exception will lead to withdrawal of the job offer. For more information, visit our policy listed here.
- Veterans Information:
- DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information on veterans’ preference, please visit Veterans Resources, or call the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs at: 1-800-692-9666. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
- Pay Equity:
- As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information. Please note: the salary listed is the non-PERS qualifying salary range. If the successful candidate is PERS qualifying, the salary range will reflect an additional 6.95% (6% goes to PERS and .95% covers payroll taxes). Please review the Classification and Compensation page for more details.
- Work Authorization:
- DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. On the first day of employment, all hires will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. In addition, hires will have three business days from their first day of employment to present documents that establish employment authorization and identity.
- Questions/Need Help?
- If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Rebecca Zanskar, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 807-8937. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.