Investment Associate, Private Capital – Sustainability & Energy Transition
As part of our commitment to Net Zero 2050, we are growing! We are actively seeking an Associate to join our Private Capital (“PC”) team based in Toronto. You will be an integral part of the team focused on direct investments in North America evaluating potential investment opportunities, executing transactions, and handling existing portfolio investments that make up our Sustainability and Energy Transition (SET) strategy.
Who you’ll work with
In your new role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a number of professionals including other members of OTPP in Toronto, London, Hong Kong & Singapore and outside professionals such as management teams of our assets, fund partners, investment bankers, board directors and advisors. The role is focused on supporting a core strategic area of the fund – climate-smart investments – where you will also collaborate and partner with other asset classes and internal teams, such as Total Fund Management and Global Strategic Relationships.
The SET team targets investments supporting and capitalizing on sustainability, decarbonization and the energy transition. Sub-sectors of focus include: sustainable fuels, commercial & industrial decarbonization solutions; waste-to-value and the circular economy; and enablement services. Transactions will take the form of growth equity and buyouts seeking lead, co-lead and significant minority investment positions.
What you’ll do
Your time will be spent evaluating new investments and determining whether the company represents an attractive investment opportunity. Among other things, the analysis of investments includes conducting industry and company research, managing third-party advisors, building sophisticated financial models, arranging debt financing, reviewing legal documents, reviewing and analyzing due diligence materials, and preparing internal support materials and written recommendations to PC’s Investment Committee.
Once a transaction has been completed, you will remain involved with the business, potentially attending board meetings as an observer, and will work with the management team and the board of directors to implement value-enhancing initiatives. In addition, you will work directly with management on various initiatives as required, including with respect to mergers and acquisitions, debt refinancings, budgeting and other strategic projects.
You get to play an active role in assisting in and identifying target investment sectors and generating proprietary deal flow in specific sectors. Activities will include conducting desk research, working with bankers and consultants, and attending conferences. There is also the expectation that you assist in building and maintaining relationships with fund partners.
What you’ll need
- An undergraduate or graduate degree from a university with a focus on business / finance / accounting / investment analysis
- CFA and / or other meaningful designations
- Min. 2 years related work experience – ideally in private equity, investment banking, or consulting
- Solid financial modelling and valuation skills
- Very strong analytical and quantitative skills and ability to perform in-depth, creative, critical analysis
- Deep understanding of fundamental investment analysis
- Experience in the investment process, including conducting due diligence, arranging debt financing and negotiating documentation
- Ability to develop a good knowledge of the economic/business characteristics, conditions and trends of the target sector; a background in power and energy is an asset
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, with solid presentation skills
- Great teammate with strong interpersonal skills, able to establish and build relationships
- Self-motivated, and possess unquestioned personal and professional integrity
- Ability to meet tight timelines and operate in a highly complex and demanding work environment
- Ability and willingness to travel
What we’re offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentives
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage, including a Health Spending Account
- Guaranteed retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track ALL kinds of learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more.
At Ontario Teachers’, we are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Inclusion & Diversity Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) events, celebrations , we offer a variety of opportunities for colleagues to connect for the purposes of professional development and networking & mentoring.
If you require an accommodation for the application, recruitment or interview process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application. This portion of your application will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.