The Management Trainee will receive hands on training in all wage and salaried jobs in order to learn to manage a shift or an operational area in a service center. Once hands-on training is competed in each area the trainee fills in as a supervisor on various shifts and departments. The trainee will learn to manage a shift while emphasizing safety, quality, efficiency, service and delivery. The trainee also completes assignments while being assessed through knowledge indicators, writing papers, viewing management videos, recommending process improvements on operating procedures. Participates in ODTDT program to receive a CDL license, participates in forklift training program and management and leadership training courses as scheduled.
- Complete shift manager’s training as an understudy with an experienced manager.
- Trainees will complete forklift job training knowledge and production exercises on all jobs within the service center.
- Trainees will participate in ODTDT (Old Dominion Truck Driving Training) program to obtain CDL license.
- Fill in as a supervisor on various shifts and departments.
- Completes department/area knowledge indicators and develops new indicators and process and procedure change.
- Works in AS400 moving freight as needed throughout the system and maintains records of efficiency, quality, cost, hot loads, missed loads, etc.
- Works in SAP as needed to update payroll and employee information.
- Writes and submits monthly activity reports.
- Assigns work to employees according to daily schedule.
- Makes quick and informed decisions based on the volume levels and communicates schedule to affected employees.
- Inspects working conditions of tools and equipment needed for safe operation within the area and directs the correction of any improper or adverse condition that exists.
- Approximately 15% travel to other service centers to learn the operations and supervise in a different environment.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Good working knowledge of computer/PC software (WORD, EXCEL). AS400 background helpful.
- Good communications skills, both Oral and Written
- Solid work history (if applicable)
- Professional appearance
- Must be open to relocation when trainee program is completed.
Join the OD Family Today!
As a Full Time member of our Family, you are eligible to receive:
- Health, Dental & Vision Benefits
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Flex Spending Accounts
- 401(k) retirement Plan
- Wellness Program
- Employee credit Union, Vacation & Holiday
- “Birthday Holiday” who doesn’t love some extra attention on their Birthday?
Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, and/or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, military status, Vietnam Era and/or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law(s).