Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Learning Systems Group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division (CSMD), Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate (CCSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) experienced in all areas of research related to data analytics, including machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence, graph analysis, natural language processing, and visual analytics. We are specifically interested in research focused on the development and application of new tools and methods to analyze large and complex scientific data on high-performance computing with accelerators.
While centered in the Data and AI systems section, core capabilities in data analytics span multiple sections in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division at ORNL, including the Mathematics in Computation and Advanced Computing Systems section.
We are a community of top researchers who are ready to tackle the hardest problems faced by the country and the world, such as the development of advanced materials, clean energy, national security, and supercomputing. ORNL is an open science laboratory, where research staff is expected to participate in and demonstrate leadership in the international research community.
As a postdoctoral researcher, you will have the opportunity to help solve some of the most challenging problems this country faces. You will perform groundbreaking research on a wide range of significant problems with the fastest computing platforms in the world. This position requires novel thinking, teamwork, and discovery in finding new approaches for analyzing massive and complex data, collaborating with worldwide experts, and publishing groundbreaking results.
- Perform basic and applied research in the analysis of processing large and complex scientific data
- Collaborate with top researchers in the field
- Publish research results in top conferences and journals
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- A record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals/conferences
- Relevant research experience in machine learning, artificial intelligence, or data science after receiving Ph.D.
- Outstanding publication track record
- Ability to collaborate with a wide range of scientists, engineers, and program managers
- Strong experience with machine learning and deep learning frameworks
- Strong experience with data science and visualization tools
- Experience with applying algorithms to solve real-world problems
- Experience with developing algorithms for high-performance computing and novel computing architectures at Summit scale
- Contributions to opensource software
- Experience mentoring students and/or early-career researchers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.