The Manufacturing Energy Efficiency Research and Analysis Group within the Manufacturing Science Division (MSD) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking to fill a Postdoctoral Research position to work in the areas of industrial and building energy efficiency and corporate energy management.
You will assist principal investigators and lead projects as part of an expanding program. Your work will be focused on technical assistance and research related to improved energy management in existing buildings and industrial facilities during their operational phase. In addition, you will provide support to the U.S. DOE’s Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO) programs. AMO is under the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE). There may also be opportunities to work on international energy efficiency programs. AMO’s Technology Partnerships subprogram presently works with some of the largest manufacturing plants in the United States through the DOE’s Better Buildings, Better Plants Program.
You will collaborate on research and analysis of technologies and practices for increasing the energy efficiency of the industrial and buildings sectors. The assignment will involve leading projects and supporting ORNL program managers and principal investigators on AMO programs and projects in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment. The AMO project work includes supporting activities under the DOE’s Better Buildings, Better Plants program; activities would include: acting as a technical account manager for key companies and interfacing with corporate energy managers, visiting manufacturing sites, analyzing technologies, assisting industrial clients to improve energy management practices, perform energy data benchmarking and analysis studies. Your work may also include writing technical reports to summarize the results of technical assistance activities and contributing to periodic progress reports for sponsors. You should have the ability to work creatively and cooperatively as a member of an interdisciplinary research team.
You will have the opportunity to lead projects, collaborate with research staff and partner organizations on future research initiatives, network with related organizations, interact with existing sponsors in pursuit of additional research funding, and prepare proposals and present results to sponsors, peer reviewers, and others.
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, industrial engineering or related discipline completed within the last 5 years.
- Experience with industry and/or buildings, specifically with energy efficiency management and projects is required.
- Proficiency with the use of Excel in engineering data reduction and analysis is essential.
- Experience with mechanical engineering modeling and analysis tools is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of industrial processes, building science, energy savings performance contracts, heating and cooling technologies, and mechanical systems and controls is desired.
- Familiarity with numerical calculation and statistical data analysis techniques is desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to support regular interactions with manufacturing partners, sponsors, and others and to prepare reports, proposals, publications and journal articles are required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to support team building, partnering and communications are a plus for this position.
- Must be willing to travel. You will be involved in meetings with DOE sponsors in Washington, DC and will attend key conferences and workshops. Travel will be periodically required to visit federal facilities and industrial plants.
Appointments will initially be for 24 months with a possibility of an extension of up to 12 months. Appointments and extensions are subject to annual performance reviews and availability of funding.
Applicants cannot have received the most recent degree more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.