Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the The Building Equipment Research Group in the Buildings and Transportation Science Division (BTSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The work in this group supports the U.S. DOE Building Technology Office, Geothermal Technology Office, and other customers by developing state-of-the-art building equipment for energy efficiency, equipment-to-grid integration, and improved life cycle climate performance.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting, coordinating, and reporting complex research assignments related to energy conversion systems including:
- Working fluids and thermodynamic cycles for advanced vapor compression refrigeration systems, such as: cold climate heat pump, geothermal (ground source) heat pump and ntegrated heat pump systems with multiple sources and multiple functions for improved energy efficiency and grid-interactivity
- Thermal energy storage materials and applications
- Advanced heat exchanger design and optimization
- Novel non-vapor compression heat pump systems
- HVAC&R system design and performance evaluation
- Develop experimental setups, conducting experimental campaigns, performing thermodynamic analyses and system modeling, and analyzing results
- Prepare technical documents and peer-reviewed research publications, and presenting and defending work to project sponsors and other stakeholders
- The work will involve interacting and collaborating with researchers from universities, national laboratories, and private industry
- A PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience in thermodynamic cycle modeling
- Experience with the design, instrumentation, and operation of experimental thermal/fluid systems
- Knowledge of fluid dynamics and heat and mass transfer
- Familiarity with vapor compression refrigeration systems and sorption-based dehumidification, cooling, and heat pumping systems
- Knowledge of various mechanical systems and instrumentation
- Experience with both experimental prototype development and a variety of engineering modeling software Experience in developing new ideas and proposal writing is a plus. Experience with heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) system design
- A strong background in project management with a proven publication/patent record
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
For more information, please contact Brian Fricke (email@example.com).
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.