Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Sensors and Controls Group in the Energy Science and Technology Directorate (ESTD)at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) with expertise in modelling, sensor management, and process monitoring. The incumbent of this position will support research in water treatment process control, advanced manufacturing, and energy systems.
The chosen candidate is expected to perform research that expands the state-of-the-art for data- and model-based techniques for process supervision in a diverse range of manufacturing, energy production and distribution, and water treatment application areas. The chosen candidate is expected to publish the results of their research. Representative activities include: the development and implementation of algorithms and software tools for online identification of water treatment system models, smart manufacturing controls approaches for energy-intensive manufacturing applications, and collaboration with other ORNL researchers to develop technical research strategies to solve problems proposed by the Department of Energy (DOE) and industrial partners.
The primary responsibilities for this position involve the development, implementation, and experimental evaluation of data- and model-driven tools for complex systems monitoring and control in support of ORNL/DOEs mission to advance science and energy applications.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct pioneering research in modelling and control theory, aimed at application in water treatment and production, manufacturing, and the electric grid
- Present and report research results in high-impact peer reviewed journals, conferences and program reviews
- Work with other ORNL researchers to develop technical strategies for future research that aligns with the monitoring and automation capabilities within the laboratory
- A PhD in Physics, Bio-Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Demonstrated experience in the development and application of method for model identification
- Demonstrated experience in generating creative solutions for complex challenges in systems monitoring and control
- Demonstrated experience in analytic tools for sensor management
- Training and experience with mechanistic and empirical models, sensor systems and analytics, software skills to implement models (digital twins) and in particular water treatment processes and models
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.