OER seeks motivated, committed, and collaborative staff to help remediate contaminated land and deliver environmental assistance to New York City’s communities. Project Managers perform professional scientific work in engineering geology and geology on project sites under the E-Designation and City’s Voluntary Cleanup programs.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Implement applicable laws and regulations and policy to meet Mayor’s Office, Dept. of Environmental Protection (DEP), and OneNYC strategic environmental, remedial, and engineering goals.
• Become fluent in all OER environmental quality programs (NYC VCP, E-Designation Hazmat, Noise, and Air) and other OER Programs including JumpStart, BIG Grants, Brownfield Partnership, Green Team, Green Property Certification, SPEED, EPIC, Clean Soil Bank, PURE Soil NYC and be prepared to provide assistance and answer questions from the public.
• Review plans, reports, and schedules prepared by consultants, contractors, and agencies, and produce engineering analyses to assure technical quality and conformance with project completion dates, as well as with technical, programmatic, and regulatory considerations.
• Conduct communications with development teams, the general public, elected officials, the press, and other city agencies in accordance with OER, Mayor’s Office, and DEP policies.
• Oversee, inspect, and participate in field sampling and remediation, and oversee engineering activities.
• Maintain databases and archives established by OER management for oversight of programs.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- A. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with a major in geology, engineering, earth sciences, environmental sciences, or a closely related field, including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in any of the following areas: rock and soil mechanics; structural geology; soils; sedimentation; petrology; hydrology; hydrogeology; geomorphology; subsurface explorations; mining; engineering; mapping; surveying; site investigations; geologic field work; or closely related areas; and
- B. At least one course involving geologic field work or three months of satisfactory, full-time professional geologic field experience obtained during the course of, or after completing, the baccalaureate education.
A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York is required. This license must be
maintained throughout the duration of employment.
1. Employees hired as Geologist – Assignment Level I must satisfactorily complete a probationary period of at least 24 months. This probationary period may be extended in accordance with the Personnel Rules and Regulations of the City of New York. Employment may be terminated at any time during the probationary period. Upon satisfactory completion of one year of training in beginning level professional work in geology, employees will be assigned to perform the full range of work in geology of moderate difficulty and responsibility appropriate to Assignment Level I and will receive the “after one year in title” salary rate.
2. Employees with one year of satisfactory, post-baccalaureate, full-time professional experience in geology, engineering, earth sciences, environmental sciences, or a closely related field may be hired directly at the “after one year in title” salary rate, at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Assignment Level II
- A. To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have, after meeting the minimum requirements described in Assignment Level I, at least two years of satisfactory service as a Geologist AL I with the City of New York; or
- B. At least three years of satisfactory, full-time professional experience in geology, engineering, earth sciences, environmental sciences, or a closely related field. One year of this experience must include the provision of geologic consultation or the supervision or performance monitoring of persons involved in geologic activity; or
- C. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience. A masters degree from an accredited college with a major in one of the fields listed in “Assignment Level I – Qualification Requirement A” above may be substituted for two years of the AL II professional experience. A masters degree from an accredited college in management, public administration, business administration, or a closely related field may be substituted for the one year of consultative or supervisory experience described above.
Organizational, interpersonal, analytical, communications, and problem-solving skills.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
DEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success of our outreach recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job. For more information about NYCDEP, visit www.nyc.gov/dep
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the Mayors’ Office of Environmental Remediation qualifies you as a public service employee, and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements. Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
We appreciate your interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Please review the City’s Civil Service Exam requirements for full-time employees at https://www1.nyc.gov/jobs/get-started.page
All appointments are subject to Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval.
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer.