Cardio-metabolic disease is the leading cause of death worldwide, taking an estimated 17.9 million lives each year. Obesity not only directly contributes to risk factors such as dyslipidemia and type 2 diabetes but also leads to the development of cardiovascular disease mortality independent of other risk factors. The Cardiovascular and Metabolism (CVM) Disease Area at the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR) is dedicated to the creation and development of innovative and transformative medicines to prevent and treat cardio-metabolic disease.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our in vivo pharmacology group to help discover new therapies for cardio-metabolic disease. In this role, you will be responsible for planning, executing and analyzing in vivo pharmacology experiments in preclinical models of metabolic disease. You will be working in a highly matrixed, team-oriented and collaborative environment.
The successful candidate is expected to perform and excel in the following areas:
• Assist in the design, development, characterization, implementation and validation of relevant preclinical models for identifying and profiling of metabolic targets
• Plan and perform in vivo pharmacology studies to evaluate metabolic treatment strategies including efficacy, PK/PD and mechanism of action analyses.
• Perform biochemical and/or histological analyses of samples
• Document, analyze and interpret experiments in a timely manner.
• Present results in lab and department meetings
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• BS/MS in pharmacology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field with 2+years of industry or academic experience; knowledge in the metabolic field is a plus
• Proficiency with in vivo procedures in rodents including multiple dose routes of administration (PO, IV, SC, IP), blood/tissue collection, necropsies
• Drug discovery experience is a plus
• Knowledge of biochemical assays (e.g. protein and gene expression) and/or histology is desirable
• Demonstrate ability to quickly learn and perform in new areas, implement new techniques and instrumentation, critical problem-solving, multi-tasking and good organization skills
• Meticulous laboratory approach, careful adherence to protocols and excellent lab notebook documentation
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Strong analytical and computer skills
• Highly motivated with a sense of urgency and flexibility
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Here you will:
• Join a team committed to bringing more of our medicines to more people, no matter where they are
• Work with the latest technologies
• Work with industry innovators on a regular basis
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network