This paid opportunity was created for actively enrolled MIT undergraduate students in partnership with the PKG Center’s Social Impact Internship program. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. Remote work allowed. In-person work is possible if mutually agreed by student and host site.
Our mission is to lead the charge for the Pacific Northwest to realize its clean energy potential with hydroelectricity as the cornerstone.
Our organization strives to not just advocate, but to do so with credibility, based on solid research and analytics. The research/analytical tasks below are examples of projects that will help us provide education to the region on important topics related to hydroelectric generation and its biological and socioeconomic impacts.
· Forecast cost curve of emerging energy technologies, such as utility-scale batteries, hydrogen through electrolysis, small modular nuclear reactors, and wind and solar power.
· Examine the abundance of critical supply elements, like lithium for batteries, to determine if decarbonization policy goals can be met
· Develop model to determine how much wind and solar generation can be integrated/balanced by a given quantity of hydroelectric generation.
· Compile and analyze data related to oceanic conditions and salmon health
· Perform independent analyses of existing data for salmon and steelhead
· Perform economic analysis of impacts of energy costs on regional economy
Skills, qualifications, and other requirements:
· Advanced research abilities
· Strong data analysis and interpretation
· Understanding of statistics, multi-linear regression analyses, and/or actuarial science
· Optional: Biology, economics, and/or actuarial backgrounds helpful
Timing + Stipend: 40 hours a week for the summer; between 300 and 400 hours. As part of the Social Impact Internship program, students may be eligible for a stipend of up to $5,000 or through federal work-study for eligible students.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be filled prior to the posted deadline.