A Day in the Life of a Legal Ops Intern
- Monday to Friday
- 7:00AM to 4:00PM
- During the months of May through August
The Data Science and Analytics Intern will support Norfolk Southern’s Legal Operations Team by converting business data into insights used for business decision-making across the Law Department.
Norfolk Southern’s Legal Operations Team supports the Law Department by helping align its work with the needs of the business and driving efficiencies through technology, process improvement, and analytics. Our responsibilities include managing legal technology tools, eBilling, matter management, developing and maintaining department manuals and processes, and managing vendor relationships.
What makes a successful Legal Ops Intern
- A motivated self-starter committed to learning the ins and outs of Sarbanes Oxley testing procedures
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Willingness to study reference materials, ask questions and resolve problems
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Solid interpersonal skills along with the ability to receive and grow from constructive feedback
- Ability to manage time, prioritize work demands effectively, and meet deadlines without sacrificing standards of work
- Ability to interact with various levels of management while being positive and professional
- Provide management with recommendations for the use of analytical models and decision support systems to improve business processes, increase revenues, and reduce costs.
- Effectively utilize statistical, data mining, machine learning, and operations research techniques and computer science skills in delivering advanced analytics and decision support systems.
- Collaborate with Law Department stakeholders to identify opportunities for process improvement by using decision tools to develop project proposals and to manage projects through to completion.
- Provide insight into leading analytics practices and produce new and creative analytics solutions.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree full-time in Summer 2022
- Preferred Degree Paths: Business Analytics, Computer and Information Sciences, Engineering – Statistics, Mathematical Sciences – Applied Mathematics, Data Science
- Experience with Advanced machine learning techniques and algorithms, Data visualization tools, e.g. Tableau or Spotfire, and Knowledge in R
- Junior – $3,467/month
- Senior – $3,623/month
- Graduate Student – $4,333/month
***Living stipend of $750/month is available to those who qualify