NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting cancer, retinal diseases, and liver and metabolic diseases. These programs include MK-3655 in a phase 2b clinical study in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and liver fibrosis stage 2 or 3 (F2/3), being run by our partner, Merck, aldafermin in a Phase 2b clinical study in NASH patients with F4 liver fibrosis and compensated cirrhosis, NGM621 in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD), NGM120 in a Phase 2 study for the treatment of metastatic pancreatic cancer, and NGM707 in a Phase 1/2 study for the treatment of advanced solid tumors.
NGM is excited to hire a passionate and highly motivated scientist to join our early-stage drug discovery efforts. The successful candidate will join an energetic group working to ideate, validate, and develop new protein-based therapeutics for a variety of disease areas. This position is ideal for a recent PhD graduate with a deeply inquisitive disposition, a free-flowing imagination, and an ambition to be a key contributor on a multidisciplinary and fast-paced drug hunting team.
- Develop new ideas for drug targets and/or target identification strategies
- Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field
- Design and perform experiments in cell culture and/or rodent systems with minimal oversight
- Employ modern molecular/cell/biochemistry techniques to establish screening systems for novel biology interrogation, technology development, and antibody characterization
- Investigate new technologies and/or methodologies to enhance research productivity
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across multiple departments to support target validation and drug discovery
- Present ideas and experimental results to senior management and other research staff
- Passion for Biology, and more broadly, the spirit of scientific investigation
- Perseverance in the face of scientific obstacles, eagerness to take risks and learn
- Broad interest and understanding of basic principles in human biology, interest not limited to one disease/topic
- Highly collaborative, willing to iterate quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in experimental design and execution
- Ability to concisely communicate complex information and processes
- Ability to engage thoughtfully in feedback
- Ph.D. in biological sciences (or expected within the next 6 months), with preference for experience in systems biology, synthetic biology, and/or functional genomics
- Sustained productivity evidenced by high quality publications
- Must exhibit a diverse set of experimental skills, and proven ability to acquire new knowledge and skills
- A robust foundation of knowledge in multiple disease areas is preferred
- No prior industry experience is required
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.