Position Specific Description
NextEra Energy Resources is searching for a technically strong Land Administration intern to be a part of the Land Administration team located in Houston, TX. This team serves as a centralized organization responsible for the set-up, maintenance, and optimization of NextEra’s inventory of leases, contracts, and wells that collectively make up NextEra’s Upstream Gas Infrastructure Business (Upstream GI).
Through working closely with Upstream GI Landmen, Land Techs, Lease Records Analysts, Division Order Analysts and other professionals, the Land Administration Intern will be assigned one or more projects involving the integration of data from various NextEra’s Land systems and Land processes to optimize value relative to a specific business objective. This requires an innovative, energetic, eager, productive, and humble individual who demonstrates NextEra Energy’s core values in the application of Land Administration objectives. The candidate achieves successful results by effectively applying an understanding of the Upstream business, knowledge of Land management practices, analytical skills, understanding results and articulating results to other business units.
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student in a bachelor’s degree program in business administration (BBA) within a Petroleum Land Management Program or Energy Commerce Program or related field.
- Aware of various requirements and processes for assuring compliance and assuring contractual obligations are managed appropriately to prevent the loss of assets.
- Has basic knowledge of PC systems, spreadsheets, databases, and software and experience in a clerical or administrative support role in a related area.
- Understand the nature of ownership rights including a) mineral rights vs surface ownership; b) leasehold rights; c) royalty interests; d) non-participating royalty interests; e) horizonal depth severances; and f) vertical depth severances.
- Understand the nature of contractual relationships for the Upstream Industry, includes a) assignments; b) farmouts; c) sub-assignments, d) operating agreements; and e) exploration agreements.
- Understand the concept of a) gross acres vs. net acres vs. net book acres; b) developed vs. undeveloped; c) HBP vs Term; and d) leased vs. unleased.
- Understand regulatory concepts related to the Upstream business including a) pooling (voluntary vs. forced vs. compulsory); b) unitization; and c) spacing.
- Knowledge of or experience working with Land Management software including P2/Excalibur, Quorum, and ThoughtTrace.
- High level of enthusiasm.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Provides technical and analytical support to Land professionals involved in the exploration, development, and production of oil & gas. Incumbents are involved in loading; entering, verifying, manipulating, analyzing, and reporting data related to Land acquisition and management activities.
- Maintaining files and records, performing simple calculations, and gathering and organizing data. Understanding business problem and developing performance targets
- Analysis and execution of a wide range of potential projects across the Land Management domain.
The internship will provide mentoring and practical hands-on experience in a corporate setting, and exposure to business unit activities; leadership and culture (e.g. staff meetings, networking, and meetings with key personnel). The position will be based in Houston, TX.
To be considered for an internship, you must be actively enrolled at a college or university as a full-time student seeking a bachelor’s degree or higher. You must also have a current cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher (on a 0.00 to 4.00 scale).
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists department with assigned projects
- Completes challenging projects and assignments
- Presents final project to senior leadership at the end of the internship
- Assumes responsibility for own travel, lodging, and transportation necessary to be available for the program
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned