The New York County District Attorney’s Office (DANY) has multiple immediate openings for paralegals throughout its Trial and Investigation Divisions. Paralegals provide a full-range of support to the Assistant District Attorneys (ADAs) in the prosecution of crime in Manhattan.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist ADAs in all aspects of investigations and trials.
- Communicate effectively with all staff, both orally and in writing.
- Compile and analyze case documents for hearings and trials.
- Coordinate case schedules with courts, law enforcement officials, witnesses, and defense attorneys.
- Draft correspondence and legal documents.
- Assist ADAs in the redaction and preparation of documents for e-discovery.
- Assist ADAs with proofreading, cite checking, and locating files and documents.
- Prepare court calendars.
- Testify before the Grand Jury, at trial and other judicial proceedings.
- Perform related administrative and clerical tasks as assigned.
- Excellent organizational and creative problem solving skills are essential.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access).
- Ability to learn, update, and edit existing proprietary applications, and quickly learn and use various computer systems.
- Ability to work independently with frequent interruptions, manage deadlines, and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Ability to interact and communicate (orally and in writing) with all levels of staff, court representatives, law enforcement representatives and witnesses.
- Fluency in a foreign language (particularly Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese or Fukienese) is helpful though not necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree required or expected by candidate’s start date.
- Selected candidates must commit to serving at least one (1) year as a paralegal in the hiring bureau or unit.
- Pursuant to the Mayor’s Executive Order 75, as of August 2, 2021, all newly hired employees must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with DANY, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved at the time of your on-boarding process.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer