The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the nation’s primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
From day one at NREL, you’ll connect with coworkers driven by the same mission to save the planet. By joining an organization that values a supportive, inclusive, and flexible work environment, you’ll have the opportunity to engage through our eight employee resource groups, numerous employee-driven clubs, and learning and professional development classes.
Join us to perform responsibilities as a staff accountant for the Accounts Receivable Team within the Office of the CFO. Provide general accounting, financial reporting, research, and analysis of accounting and financial reporting issues, and provide additional support to the Accounts Receivable Team. Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), federal accounting standards (SFFAS), applicable laws, regulations, DOE contractual requirements, and NREL and Alliance policies and procedures. This position reports to the Accounts Receivable/General Ledger Team Lead.
Full cycle A/R to include the following:
- Reviews and analyzes customer contracts and cost plans.
- Completes SPP Oracle Project Set up, including ensuring proper set up for accounting, reporting, and A123 compliance.
- Monitors and analyzes monthly project costs in conjunction with maintaining sufficient customer advances.
- Finds solutions to accounting problems and customer issues.
- Collaborate with the other teams in the lab to ensure timely and accurate customer service on all AR related issues an ongoing basis, including but not limited to project reconciliations, aging issues, billing items, reports.
- Responsible for the accounting, invoicing, review, and aging management of receivables.
- Prepares routine and complex customer invoices and provides adequate supporting documentation based on individual customer needs.
- Performs and conducts analysis of balance sheet and other account reconciliations and supporting schedules, reports on discrepancies and assists in monthly account resolutions.
- Communicates with customers and Principal Investigators both verbally and in writing, as needed.
- Conducts accounting research and analyses, including account and variance analyses.
- Finalizes month end close and transaction reconciliation to ensure all transactions are recorded and accounted for properly.
- Prepares manual journal entries and supporting documentation.
- Provides testing and migration support of solutions through Oracle and other financial software applications to ensure results.
- Prepares, reviews, and modifies accounting desk procedures.
- Ensures compliance with financial operations policies and procedures, and ensure adequate controls are in place and operating effectively.
- Assists staff in adoption and implementation of new techniques and processes.
- Support for Cash management duties including daily review of banking activity.
- Other accounting and financial operations duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a continuous learner, thinks critically, takes initiative and has a commitment to quality and detail. We are looking for someone who can join our organization growing with it and is eager to progress in their career.
Relevant Bachelor’s Degree and 2 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience in accounting or similar field. Or, relevant Master’s Degree or equivalent relevant education/experience in accounting or similar field.
Additional Required Qualifications
- General knowledge of GAAP.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills with a variety of customer.
- Detail oriented and proactive in issue identification.
- Ability to work well with people across multiple organization.
- Demonstrated spreadsheet skills.
- Accuracy, timeliness and meeting critical deadlines is a must.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities concurrently and ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- General knowledge and application of technical standards, principles, theories and techniques.
- Frequent application of industry concepts and principles.
- General knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field.
- Skilled in problem solving, written and verbal communication.
- Ability to use various computer software programs.