At the National Aquarium, our Marketing team focuses on getting the word out about our animals and initiatives, whether through advertising, community access programs, public relations, or other marketing programs. As a Graphic Design intern, you will have the chance to assist the Marketing department with the design and execution of a range of printed Aquarium materials.
· Assist with the design of a range of print and digital marketing materials, such as flyers, social media graphics, etc
· Assist with concept development and arrive at creative solutions that meet the Aquarium’s brand standards and guidelines
· Respond to general daily client requests—such as locating and resizing images—in a timely manner
· Gather pricing and become familiar with pre-pressing files for print
· Assist with administrative tasks, mailings, etc.
· Provide help with the Aquarium’s sample archive and with key-wording images
· Join the Brand team for meetings and special events
· Complete special projects as assigned
This is a hybrid internship: applicants must be willing and able to complete tasks both on-site and remotely. Learn more about the National Aquarium’s COVID-19 safety measures at https://aqua.org/visit/covid-response.
- Must have working knowledge of Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, and InDesign CS6.
- Must be self-motivated and have sharp attention to detail, ability to work independently or as part of a team, possess strong verbal skills, flexible personality, sense of humor, creativity, and the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Must be able to use Mac and Microsoft Office systems including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, or willing to learn quickly.
- Must complete a minimum of 120 hours of work within the selected term.
- Preference is given to juniors and seniors.
- Open to undergraduate students pursuing a degree in marketing, communications, public relations, development or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Internships at the National Aquarium provide hands-on and minds-on experiences that add value to any college education. Applying classroom knowledge, interns obtain valuable job experience and establish professional contacts.
College internship positions are available year-round in many departments throughout the Aquarium. The Aquarium makes every effort to match interns to work that complements their studies, interests, and skills. Students may apply for up to two internships per term; if more than two applications are submitted, only the first two will be considered.
The National Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore’s Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city’s Inner Harbor redevelopment. SmartCEO Magazine honored the National Aquarium with the Healthiest Workplace award and the Corporate Culture award in 2016. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation’s two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 40-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
HOW TO APPLY Interested and engaged applicants should apply through our website. All questions and requests for reasonable accommodation should be directed to email@example.com. A complete application includes the following:
· Answers to application questions, including biographical information, your availability, and a brief explanation of why you would like to participate and how it will assist you in your career.
· Copy of unofficial transcript
· Contact information for 2 references
Internships are unpaid, and there is no reimbursement for transportation or housing.