The Automation Engineer role is a position reporting directly to the Lead Automation Engineer, with responsibility for developing automation and fixturing platforms for efficient continuous production of advanced ceramic and composite materials, that meet or exceed our customers’ expectations.
The role is an exciting opportunity to join a global, dynamic, Hi-Tech team, supporting the medical and aerospace industries. We are the industry leader in development and manufacturing of ceramic to metal seals for both Aerospace and Medical markets. We help improve the quality of life with our implantable medical components, and we ensure the safety of travelers by developing multiple components for the Aerospace industry.
· Design, develop and implement automation platforms and fixturing to enable the efficient processing of advanced ceramic and composite materials
· Develop flexible automated process solutions using multi-axis robotics, machine vision, programmable logic controllers, distributed control systems, human-machine interfaces and data acquisition systems.
· Provide justification and reports for project expense requests and capital projects related to plant and process engineering.
· Lead projects in the design, development, system integration and qualification of automated processes, equipment, and systems; including project management and working with internal staff and outside vendors to ensure anticipated activities and outputs are planned and effectively executed.
· Assumes responsibility for the safety and environmental issues associated with any developed automation and fixturing.
· Conducts PFMEAs on manufacturing processes, methods, equipment, and controls.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Conduct all tasks in a safe and efficient manner complying with all local, state, and federal EHS regulations and with Morgan New Bedford, MA EHS Guidelines. Guidelines include but not limited to participation in required EHS training and use of proper PPE. Employees are responsible for reporting hazardous conditions and job-related injuries or illnesses to their supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
· 5+ years of manufacturing engineering experience working to develop and implement automated manufacturing processes.
· Strong understanding of general programming architectures and logic.
· Strong understanding of control panel wiring and good documentation practices.
· Proficient in the use of Solidworks.
· Basic understanding of quality management systems in an ISO 9001/AS 9100 is required.
· Knowledge of Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing techniques.
· Experience with developing/documenting procedures is required.
· This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. Hired employees are required to provide proof that they are a U.S. Person as defined by 22 CFR §120.15.
· This position requires use of Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
· High sense of responsibility, ownership, accountability.
· Quality orientation and high attention to detail.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Must be familiar with Microsoft Office Suite.
· Must be able to clearly present ideas and reports in written and verbal format.
· Must be able to work well with subordinates, peers and superiors in all departments of the Company.
· Must be able to work well with external contacts of the Company.
· Must have good time management, planning and negotiation skills.
· Materials experience desirable
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Must be capable of sitting and using a computer for extended periods of time throughout the workday
· Must be capable of occasional travel.
· Must have the ability to maneuver the shop floor, administer postings, and general administration throughout the facility.
· Required to talk or hear.
· Required to pass eye tests.
· Required to stand, walk, and sit.
· Required to use finger, handle, feel & reach with hands & arms.
· Frequently lift and/or move up to 10 lbs, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
· Vision abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus, close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Morgan Advanced Materials is an EEO/AA/M/W/D/V Employer.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, or airborne particles, and toxic caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.