Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That’s because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation’s toughest challenges—and we’re committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We’re making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
MITRE’s National Security Accelerator Program (http://sites.mitre.org/national-security-accelerator-program/) is seeking highly motivated, early career candidates passionate about solving problems for a safer world.
Currently Hiring for January 2022!
This program will provide unique work opportunities, onboarding, and mentoring to build your skills as a future leader. You will accelerate your career while preparing for impactful, rewarding work at MITRE. Successful candidates will gain exposure and experience in topics of common interest to the entire national security community. Our goal is to prepare you to thrive in a technically rooted, mission-focused career at MITRE – one where the unique background, skill set, and experience you bring inspires creative and innovative solutions.
You will interact with a diverse group of program peers, MITRE national security leaders, and staff solving real-world problems. Over the course of this structured six-month program, you will hone your skills and develop strong professional networks in the national security sector and across our Innovation Centers, helping solve critical national challenges. Before transitioning to MITRE’s permanent national security or technical staff, you will benefit from the following program pillars:
- An intensive, experiential onboarding program
- Focused mentoring with MITRE national security leaders and experts in your field
- An in-depth rotational work program
Working alongside MITRE mission specialists and engineers, you will be supporting national security sponsors while helping to design, develop, and implement solutions and technologies to address the software engineering challenges of our government sponsors. You will be exposed to expertise, innovation, and thought leadership that accelerates the application of software engineering to government problems, promotes their mission, and enables operational success. You will learn about MITRE sponsor missions and apply your technical knowledge and skills to problem-solving and innovation. At the culmination of the Accelerator Program, you will become part of MITRE’s National Security team focused on sponsor missions with a strong technical background enabling you to be a future leader in the company.
From embedded systems and internet of things to virtual reality and augmented reality, you will learn to apply software engineering expertise, innovate concepts, and technology solutions to address every facet of our sponsor’s software engineering challenges to include:
- Accessibility Software Engineering
- Cloud Engineering
- Cyber Software Engineering
- Full Stack Development
- Software Engineering
- Visualization/Graphics Software Engineering
- Web Applications Development
What are some examples of the projects that I might work on?
- Enhancing the resilience of critical infrastructure
- Enabling safe operations of narrowband communication network management
- Building software solutions that improve cyber posture to defend against external multicast data storm cyber events
- Research and development to support command, control, communications, and intelligence capabilities of the future
- Solving tough collaboration and social computing problems
What does an ideal MITRE Accelerator Software Engineer bring to the position?
- Hands-on experience gained from previous work experience or relevant intern/co-op work
- Applied knowledge of software engineering principles, tools, and devices
- Proficiency in one or more of the following programming languages: C, C++, Java, Python, C#, Objective C
- Database design and development including SQL
- Interdisciplinary background with at least of one of those disciplines being software engineering, computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical field
- Sustained excellence in academic performance
- Evidence of being a life-long learner, with a passion for the field
- High-level desire to help our nation solve critical problems
- Bachelor of Science in software engineering, computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical field and 2 years of relevant experience
- Strong background in software development and systems engineering (SE) including but not limited to: modern software development processes and practices including agile development , DevSecOps, hands on experience with software architecture, design, test, and implementation with an emphasis on domain driven, horizontally scalable architectures
- 1-3 years of experience in software engineering principles, tools, and devices
- Experience working projects related to national security for one or more government agencies
- Interdisciplinary background with evidence of continual learning
- Experience with software development tools and frameworks, including source control management tools (e.g., Git)
- Experience with modern software development methodologies (e.g., Agile)
- Knowledge of diverse software design patterns
- Knowledge of diverse database technologies, including relational or NoSQL
- Experience designing, modeling, analyzing and improving the reliability, security, scalability, and flexibility of large-scale big data applications
- Experience with microservice design/implementation using standard industry tools (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with Internet Technologies that comprise the OSI Stack Model such as TCP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, etc.
MITRE requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated prior to their employment start date. MITRE will provide reasonable accommodation to those with a medical condition, disability or a sincerely held religious belief that prevents them from receiving a vaccine so long as it does not create an undue hardship for MITRE and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the employee or others in the workplace.
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Poster-Supplement and Pay Transparency.
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE’s employment process, please contact MITRE’s Recruiting Help Line at 703-983-8226 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 1997-2021, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.
Benefits information may be found here