About the Company
Samsung Electronics is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of digital display panels, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, digital appliances, network systems, and medical devices. Samsung is also leading in the internet of things (IoT) space through, among others, our smart home and digital health initiatives.
See here for an introductory brochure for more about the company and its technology.
About the Opportunity
Samsung Electronics is seeking MIT students with interest in R&D fields related to the following business divisions:
- Consumer Electronics: digital display panels and media, home appliances, and health and medical equipment.
- IT & Mobile Communications: mobile devices, telecommunications systems, computers, and digital imaging technology.
- Samsung Research: AI, data intelligence, robotics, next-generation communications/display devices/media processing technology, IoT platforms, and cyber security.
Through the internship program, you will have the chance to learn and experience our projects, and how it is to actually work at Samsung Electronics. Potential internship project areas include the following:
- Mobile communications and networking: 5G network software solution technology research & development, software engineering, big data, machine learning, high performance computing, RF hardware engineering, system analysis engineering.
- Digital circuit design: developing digital circuits optimized for Samsung Electronics’ device characteristics.
- Application software: Android, Application, OS, API, SDK, Interaction, etc.
- Mechanical design: design structural parts via product assembly design, structural and strength engineering, element design and utilization.
- GTC: mechanical analysis & design, industrial robotics
- Samsung Research: language understanding, computer vision, deep learning, robotics, object recognition & detection, data analysis, industrial IoT solutions, Edge computing platform, cyber security, mapping & object tracking, path planning, visual simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM)
Past internship projects at Samsung Electronics have included the following:
- Implement motors on Galaxy Z-fold’s hinge system for automation
- Develop code to analyze surface profile data and return roughness criteria consistent with industry standards for use in production of curved smartphone glass
- Machine learning using high-dimensional mobile phone usage dataset
- Design VUI (voice user interface) and implement backend functions for smart TV
- Improve performance and efficiency of centrifugal fans used in home appliances via 3D modelling and simulations
Internships of 2 months are available June-August. In addition to funding for all basic internship expenses (airfare, housing, and living costs), interns are provided with a competitive monthly wage.
Class year: junior, senior, master’s.
Course: Electrical Science & Engineering (6-1), Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (6-2), Computer Science & Engineering (6-3), Computer Science, Economics & Data Science (6-14), Mathematics with Computer Science (18C), Mechanical Engineering (2).
Applicants must meet MISTI MIT-Korea requirements prior to the internship start date:
- Undergraduate students must complete 4 semesters of Korean language courses or have similar proficiency.
- Completion of MIT-Korea pre-internship training, 10-15 total hrs.
- Minimum 4.0 GPA
The priority application deadline for summer internships is Nov. 30; applications are only accepted after that date if positions are still available.