Reporting to the Sr. Director of Engineering the Sr. Mechanical Engineer will lead mechanical design and implementation efforts supporting new materials, processes and product development. As part of the new product development team, the Sr. Mechanical Engineer will help identify and develop innovative solutions to manufacturing and testing challenges and support the launch of new products in a team-based and fast-paced environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Engineering lead and responsible for design and machining related projects, identifying issues, and implementing solutions.
· Designing, prototyping, and testing concepts for new product and product iterations.
· Designing, building and testing equipment, fixtures & tools for process development, manufacturing and materials testing. Ensuring new designs meet functional and safety requirements.
· Writing product specifications, standard operating procedures, test reports, and updating existing product specifications when required
· Supporting design and implementation of new materials development, testing and process integration efforts.
· Compiling and analyzing data, writing reports, and presenting results to team members and management.
· Supporting the launch and manufacturing of new products and training manufacturing personnel.
· Maintaining and improving the established material systems and equipment and providing support to production and troubleshooting technical issues.
· Interfacing with vendors of equipment and process materials.
JOB QUALIICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
· M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering.
· Minimum 7-10 years of experience in mechanical engineering in a high- tech industry (MEMS, semiconductors, packaging, etc.).
· Strong foundation of mechanical design principles, strong knowledge of engineering materials and properties. Experience with materials testing and test protocols & standards.
· Proven experience in mechanical design, simulation, and test. Extensive hands-on experience with 3D modeling and FEA. SolidWorks and ANSYS experience preferred.
· Experience with lathe and mill machining, prototyping and 3D printing.
· Understanding of design-for-manufacturing principles, tolerancing and error budgets.
· Understanding of control systems, experience with custom designed microcontrollers, PCB design and test.
· Hands-on experience in setting up and maintaining processes for new materials, equipment and metrology methods for the control and monitoring of such processes.
· Experience with diagnosing issues using failure analysis techniques and equipment, researching, and recommending solutions.
· Strong statistical analysis and data mining capabilities with tools like JMP and Excel.
· Experience with six sigma methodologies (FMEA, SPC, DOE).
· Strong and independent problem-solving skills through experimental design and data analysis.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment. Good presentation skills.
· Self-motivated, attention to detail, ability to prepare technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information, as well as write technical specifications and procedures.
· Project management skills. Capable of working under limited or no supervision, will take ownership and accountability for project tasks.
· Experience with technology transfer from R&D into manufacturing
· Six sigma or statistical process control training