Reporting to the Sr. Director of Engineering the Sr. Materials Engineer will drive new materials development, testing and process integration efforts. As part of the new product development team, the Sr. Materials Engineer will help identify and develop innovative solutions to materials, processing and manufacturing challenges, and support the launch of new products in a team-based and fast-paced environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Driving new materials development, testing and process integration efforts.
· Planning and executing test protocols and experiments for materials development.
· Employing various metrology techniques and reliability tests to understand and improve the performance of new materials.
· Compiling and analyzing data, writing reports, and presenting results to team members and management.
· Supporting the launch and manufacturing of new products and training manufacturing personnel.
· Maintaining and improving the established material systems and equipment and providing support to production and troubleshooting technical issues.
· Interfacing with vendors of equipment and process materials.
JOB QUALIICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
· M.S. or Ph.D. in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry or related field.
· Minimum 7-10 years of experience in materials and process development, in a high- tech industry (MEMS, semiconductors, packaging, etc.).
· Strong foundation of materials science principles. Hands-on experience with materials testing and test protocols & standards.
· Experience with profilometry, surface and bulk analytical methods relevant to characterization of thin films (e.g. XPS, XRD, EDX, SEM).
· Hands-on experience in setting up and maintaining processes for new materials, equipment and metrology methods for the control and monitoring of such processes.
· Experience with diagnosing issues using failure analysis techniques and equipment, researching, and recommending solutions.
· Experience with MEMS and semiconductor processes.
· Strong statistical analysis and data mining capabilities with tools like JMP and Excel.
· Experience with six sigma methodologies (FMEA, SPC, DOE).
· Strong and independent problem-solving skills through experimental design and data analysis.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment. Good presentation skills.
· Self-motivated, attention to detail, ability to prepare technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information, as well as write technical specifications and procedures.
· Excellent time management skills.
· Experience with technology transfer from R&D into manufacturing
· Six sigma or statistical process control training