We are looking for a Network Infrastructure Engineer to be responsible for providing structured cabling systems standards, design, documentation and compliance.
Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits package plus many other support resources to help employees balance their professional and personal lives.
1. Develop and maintain structured cabling system standards, and ensure compliance to these standards on all outside and inside cable plant.
2. Coordinate communications systems installations for construction projects.
3. Maintain cable plant and network documentation in AutoCAD and/or Visio, and in relevant databases.
4. Review and provide input on building plans from Physical Facilities Department for construction and renovation projects.
5. Review advances in technology related to the structured cabling and suggest improvements.
6. Provide quotations, specify materials, and manage purchases for equipment, supplies and services.
7. Coordinate security camera installation reviews, purchases, inventory, data base tracking, and ongoing maintenance.
8. Work with electricians and other trades on cabling system issues as necessary.
9. Actively promote a customer-oriented approach throughout IT Services and other university departments.
10. Assist IT Management in setting long-term goals.
11. Participate in professional development activities.
12. Participate in cross-functional projects.
13. Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
Require a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field earned by date of hire and 2+ years’ experience in structured cabling, communication installation standard related to construction projects, data network technology, fiber optic, inside and outside cable plant, grounding, and power.
Associates degree in Computer Systems, Engineering or related field earned by date of hire and 4+ years’ experience in structured cabling, communication installation standard related to construction projects, data network technology, fiber optic, inside and outside cable plant, grounding, and power.
6+ years’ experience in structured cabling, communication installation standard related to construction projects, data network technology, fiber optic, inside and outside cable plant, grounding, and power.
· Knowledge of structured cabling systems for data, voice and video applications
· Knowledge of documentation requirements for structured cabling systems
· Knowledge of blueprint schematic reading
· Knowledge of telephony and data network technology, fiber optic architecture, and cable plants
· Knowledge of telephone and network installation and maintenance
· Knowledge of grounding, power and electrical requirements, AC and DC
· Knowledge of drafting software (AutoCAD & Visio)
· Verbal and written communication skills; including communicating technical information in terms understandable to the end user
· Customer service skills; including diplomatically, patiently, and successfully handling complaints, problems, questions, conflict, and suggestions
· Ability to provide leadership that positively guides and influences others to achieve the objectives of their job, IT Services, and the University
· Ability to analyze causes of customer problems
· Ability to generate solutions to problem causes
· Ability and willingness to work independently in a team environment
· Ability to take initiative in providing support to the customer
· Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously
· Ability to maintain confidentiality, security, and privacy
· Ability to work closely with other departments
· Completion of the BICSI RCDD training course
Miami is committed to a culture of health and wellness. We offer several benefits including healthcare and wellness programs with on-campus recreational and sport centers, health insurance that includes options for dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance. Tuition fee waivers for employee and family, paid sick and parental leave, paid vacation, paid holidays and state sponsored alternate and supplemental retirement plans. Plus you can be part of the University’s academic culture with direct access to hundreds of on-campus events plus the possibility to teach one credit bearing course per semester.
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free.