The Metropolitan Area Planning Council seeks an IT System Administrator II to provide information technology support for an innovative and dynamic public agency serving the cities and towns of Metro Boston. Principal responsibilities will include managing the agency’s servers, email, and VOIP phone system; developing system documentation and IT policies; and expanding the use of cloud-based services for storage, backup, and data processing. All of this work takes place in the context of a mission-driven agency staffed by planners, public engagement specialists, and other staff working to promote affordable housing, sustainable transportation, municipal collaboration, and inclusive decision-making.
This position is part of a three-member IT team that includes a helpdesk specialist and an experienced IT Manager. The IT team is part of the agency’s Data Services Department, a group of planners, analysts, and web developers focused on using data and technology to support informed regional planning. Qualifications for the role include experience with MS Azure administration, MS O365 administration, and supporting staff in a hybrid work environment. Knowledge of Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops is also preferred. The ideal candidate will be positive, detail-oriented, self-directed, and committed to a more sustainable and equitable region.
MAPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in metropolitan Boston. Our mission is to promote smart growth and regional collaboration. We are guided by MetroFuture: Making a Greater Boston Region, our regional policy plan for a more sustainable and equitable future, which was adopted in 2008. We are currently finalizing a successor regional plan, MetroCommon2050: Shaping the Region Together, which we expect to complete in Fall 2021.
MAPC has been operating remotely through the pandemic, but people are now beginning to return to the office. We anticipate the office will reopen fully after October 4, 2021, although we expect that most staff will be working on a hybrid schedule, combining time in the office with remote work.
MAPC encourages all our staff to develop new ideas to make MAPC’s planning and policy work more relevant and impactful, and to adapt to changing times. We strongly support the professional development of each staff person, believing their growth to be consistent with the best interests of MAPC and the region. For more information about MAPC, MetroFuture, and MetroCommon, please visit www.mapc.org.
Examples of Duties
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop systems in a Hyper-V infrastructure
- Assist with the implementation, documentation, and testing of a new cloud-hosted backup and disaster recovery system for the agency
- Maintain agency severs and support the transition to a clustered Hyper-V environment from a XenServer environment
- Create, manage, and maintain network/email accounts
- Provide second-tier IT support to MAPC staff both on- and off-site, addressing issues that cannot be resolved by the help desk specialist
- Maintain and support the technology needs for inclusive public engagements; this includes virtual and hybrid meeting tools such as Slack, Teams, Zoom, and YouTube
- Assist colleagues with infrastructure projects and tasks where needed, including maintenance and documentation of core IT infrastructure
- Assist with selection and implementation of digital systems and workflows for contract management, human resources, financial, and other systems
- Manage Cisco VOIP phone system
- Assist Digital team with configuration and maintenance of Amazon and Azure servers for web infrastructure
- Install, upgrade, and troubleshoot a variety of software and hardware; install and support network printers; set up and troubleshoot mobile devices
- Provide occasional on-call technical assistance or on-site external meeting IT support outside of normal workday and be available for scheduled system maintenance events that may take place nights and weekends
Candidates for this position must have a Bachelors or Associates degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems (MIS) / Computer Science (CS) or related fields and 2 years of experience or 5 years of professional experience in a related field. Microsoft Certified Professional Certification desired: MCSA or MCSE preferred.
Successful candidates will demonstrate all or most of the following:
- Strong technical troubleshooting and support skills with a focus on Microsoft technologies, MS Office Products, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with server and SAN hardware (Dell / EMC preferred)
- Strong experience with virtualization technologies, preferably MS Hyper-V and Citrix XenServer
- Working knowledge of remote desktop software, preferably Citrix technologies
- Advanced Knowledge of PC hardware and Microsoft operating systems including Windows 7 and 10, Mac OS, and current Windows Servers
- Advanced understanding of networking technologies and protocols such as basic IP addressing, DNS, and DHCP
- Experience with configuration and maintenance of Amazon servers, Linux Server experience (Ubuntu preferred) or other Linux OS’s
- Advanced knowledge of Active Directory
- Demonstrated experience with VOIP, preferably Cisco
- Experience with helpdesk ticket systems
- Excellent communications skills both verbal and written to technical and non-technical staff
- Excellent time management and problem-solving skills; ability to prioritize assigned projects, help desk calls, and emails.
- A demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and ability to research new technologies
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary ranges from $70,000 to $80,000 depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time exempt position. MAPC offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits as well as a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment.
How to apply:
Apply online at www.mapc.org/jobs. The position is open until filled, and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Candidates selected to interview will be asked to submit three (3) references plus a sample of relevant writing or work product. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. A Criminal Offenders Records Information (CORI) request must be completed if offered this position. However, a criminal record is not an automatic bar to employment but will be reviewed in relation to the job applied for. MAPC participates in E-Verify, which is a federal program that helps us to determine work eligibility in the United States.
MAPC is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We believe that a staff with a range of perspectives, experiences, and skillsets strengthens our work. We are committed to building a more equitable workplace that allows staff with diverse backgrounds and identities to thrive, grow, and lead. For more information on MAPC’s culture of equity, see our Equity at MAPC page.