New hires based in the US & Puerto Rico will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement, subject to applicable law.
Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities, and robust scientific methodology, we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough. The Biologics Process Research & Development (BPR&D) organization within our Research & Development Division is responsible for developing the drug substance manufacturing processes for our company’s biologics pipeline. BPR&D includes experts in the following areas: cell line development, bioreactor process development and optimization, media formulation, chromatographic and filtration separation development as well as computational modeling and data science. We work closely with colleagues in Discovery, Pre-clinical, Early Development, and our Commercial Manufacturing organizations with a goal to rapidly develop a robust, innovative drug substance process to enable toxicology studies, clinical studies, and ultimately commercial supplies.
Our work also extends beyond the development of drug substance. We drive technology development through innovation with examples including investments in continuous production as well as green and sustainable processing. We actively publish our work to influence industry and the scientific field. As an organization, we are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive environment. As a Senior Scientist in our BPR&D department, you will work with a highly collaborative team of talented scientists and engineers to design and develop robust biologic processes in support of early- to late-stage biological products. Your objective will be to apply rigorous scientific principles to solve challenging problems focused on developing the best process to deliver life-changing medicines to patients worldwide.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the development of innovative and disruptive technologies for next-generation biologic manufacturing processes
- Develop and characterize robust clinical processes capable of delivering multi-kilogram quantities of drug substance
- Independently design and conduct experiments for individual unit operations using relevant operational parameters and analytical inputs
- Integrate unit operations both physically and with relevant process control and monitoring platforms for concurrent operations
- Collaborate across BPR&D, process analytics, and other functional teams in both R&D and manufacturing to advance the biologics pipeline
- Conduct laboratory-scale and/or pilot-scale studies to support scale-up and tech transfer of processes
- Contribute to a safe and compliant laboratory work environment.
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, or related biological fields with 4 years of relevant experience; or Masters degree with 3 years of relevant experience; or Ph.D (expected graduation by August 2022)
Required Experience and Skills:
- Scientific understanding and experience with cell line development, recombinant protein expression, and/or purification unit operations.
- Proven ability to independently design and execute bioprocess experiments
- Knowledge of scale-up principles and technology transfer activities
- Experience with aseptic technique, protein biophysical properties, and general protein laboratory practices
- Experience with statistical data analysis tools such as design of experiment and multivariate data analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work in a matrixed team environment and collaborate with both internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to think critically with excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with high throughput experimentation using automation platforms such as TECAN liquid handling systems or ambr250 bioreactors
- Knowledge of commercial cell line development for protein expression and suspension cell culture
- Experienced in vector construction and engineering.
- Experience with data science, scripting, machine learning, or artificial intelligence.
- History of evaluating and introducing novel technologies and process analytical tools to enable process development
- History of external presentation and publications in peer-reviewed journals
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.