The Future Talent Program features internships that last up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Manufacturing & Supply Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
The Durham Technical Center of Excellence (CoE) consists of Automation/MES, Deviation Management, Technical Operations, Process Support Lab, Lab Technical Services and Validation Departments. The Summer Intern will support one of the six Technical CoE Departments. The Durham Technical CoE is a team of dedicated engineers who strive to understand, monitor, and improve our manufacturing processes. Within the Durham Technical CoE there are opportunities to support day-to-day activities and strategic projects to ensure the Durham Process Support Laboratory, Bulk and Formulation/Filling facilities operate Right-First-Time in a cost effective manner. This role requires daily problem solving with other Technical CoE groups, Operations, and Quality. The successful candidate will be expected to be a first responder to requests from the manufacturing/laboratory areas when support is needed.
The well-qualified candidate must have analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills. In this role, the candidate will provide support for the manufacturing of aseptic products. Furthermore, the candidate will be required to work in a fast-paced environment. Off-shift or weekend coverage may occasionally be required to support the technical team, based on project-specific assignments and/or the vaccine production schedule.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Accountable for delivering on Durham manufacturing/lab/project objectives
- Accountable for providing technical support to Durham manufacturing/lab/projects
- Lead technical and business system process improvement projects
- Lead trouble shooting and resolution of unplanned events to ensure reliable supply of Durham manufactured vaccines
- Author technical documentation
- Ability to contribute the above remotely/virtually, if required. The previous summer interns worked remotely about 75% of the time on average. The 2022 summer work status (remote/on-site) will depend on the state of COVID-19.
- A minimum of one year completed (prior to application) of undergraduate work in an engineering or science related major
- A minimum of one year completed of undergraduate work (prior to application) in a biochemical, biomedical, chemical, mechanical or pharmaceutical engineering major
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is committed to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.