New hires based in the US & Puerto Rico will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement, subject to applicable law.
The Biologics Process Research & Development (BPR&D) organization within our company’s Research Laboratories is responsible for developing the drug substance manufacturing processes for our company’s biologics pipeline, including cell line, bioreactor process development and optimization, media design, chromatographic and filtration separation development as well as computational modeling and data science. We work closely with colleagues in Discovery, Pre-clinical and Early Development to rapidly develop manufacturing processes for diverse biotherapeutics, and efficiently manufacture material to supply clinical trials. We are also responsible for late stage/commercial process development and development of new manufacturing technologies (e.g., continuous production and green and sustainable development), working with our partners in our company’s Manufacturing Division to commercialize and launch new products.
As an Associate Scientist in our BPR&D department you will work with a highly collaborative team of scientists and engineers to design and develop robust biologic processes in support of early- to late-stage biological products. Your objective will be to apply rigorous science principles to solve challenging problems focused on developing the best process to deliver life-changing medicines to patients worldwide. You may also have an opportunity to contribute to additional areas of interest such as biophysical, reactor, process, economic and/or multivariate modeling as we are committed to leveraging digital ways of working to enhance our ability to design robust processes.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the development of innovative and disruptive technologies for next-generation biologic manufacturing processes
- Develop and characterize robust clinical processes capable of delivering multi-kilogram quantities of drug substance
- Independently design and conduct experiments for individual unit operations using relevant operational parameters and analytical inputs
- Integrate unit operations both physically and with relevant process control and monitoring platforms for concurrent operations
- Collaborate across BPR&D, process analytics, and other functional teams in both R&D and manufacturing to advance the biologics pipeline
- Conduct laboratory-scale and/or pilot-scale studies to support scale-up and tech transfer of processes
- Contribute to a safe and compliant laboratory work environment.
- A minimum of a BS degree in Chemical Engineering, Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Structural Biology, or related field (or an expected graduation date by June 2022)
Required Experience and Skills:
- Scientific understanding of the engineering principles for recombinant protein production unit operations.
- Knowledge with aseptic technique, protein biophysical properties, and general protein laboratory practices
- Strong passion and commitment to integrate science and innovation into biologic process development
Any or all the following experiences and capabilities would be welcomed:
- Experience with molecular biology, protein expression, mammalian cell culture, protein purification, biochemical engineering or analytical technologies would be welcomed.
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis tools such as the design of experiments and multivariate data analysis
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization.