Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or intend to be vaccinated for COVID-19 by November 1, 2021, or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by November 1, 2021, and who have not been approved for a legally required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, in accordance with applicable law.
The Future Talent Program features internships that last up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals. Our Manufacturing Operations teams are the people that make our products. We work in the manufacturing plants with a “Safety First, Quality Always” mindset striving for continuous improvement. We work in the local plant connected to our global manufacturing network to ensure the highest quality of raw materials, intermediates, and finished products.
Our company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines, and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us. Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity, and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement, and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career. Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs, and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Strategic Supplier Management is a rigorous, data-driven methodology that relies upon high-quality market intelligence for suppliers (and associated performance), supply markets, and supply chains, and strategic analysis and reporting of internal business requirements, supplier performance, spend, and savings data. This role will support several facets of Animal Health – Global Supplier Management, specifically Sourcing & Procurement (both category, and site) and Supplier Development & Performance Management. The successful candidate: prepares and conducts market intelligence gathering and strategic analysis; pre-negotiation planning; RFIs, RFP/Qs, and e-auctions; quotation analysis and cost modeling; and financial solvency analysis, risk assessments, FCPA verification, and other compliance / due diligence assessments; supplier performance monitoring and problem resolution; budget planning process support and ongoing spend, savings, and compliance metrics reporting.
Intern Positions are available in each of the following Animal Health – Global Supplier
Direct Materials Sourcing & Procurement: is responsible for the development and implementation of all supplier management strategies and initiatives, driving improvements in cost, supplier performance, and working capital, in support of manufacture and supply of Animal Health products.
Indirect Sourcing & Operations: is responsible for conducting strategic sourcing initiatives across the following categories for all divisions and functions of the company – Marketing, Travel & Meetings (Sourcing & Operations), Logistics, Technology, Corporate Services, Site Services, Fleet (Sourcing & Operations) and Externalization.
Research and Development Sourcing & Procurement: is responsible for conducting strategic sourcing initiatives in support of drug discovery and development within Animal Health Research & Development.
- Responsible for supporting strategic and operating objectives for the sourcing & procurement function, ensuring maximization of the capabilities to execute sourcing & procurement strategies and solutions, established supply lines to support budget and growth plans.
- Responsible for supporting and executing operating objectives for the sourcing & procurement function, with key activities including, but not limited to: services sourcing, supply risk management, supplier performance improvement, cost reduction, supplier diversity development, working capital improvement, and supplier relationship management.
- Implement sourcing & procurement efforts and execute tactical procurement processes. Serve as a resource regarding processes, procedures, and systems for sourcing & procurement function.
- Support selection of suppliers to ensure appropriate savings and service levels. Ensure that all legal contract requirements are met. Manage relationships with external contacts to ensure optimal team performance and to take appropriate actions by implementing contract negotiation, communication with suppliers, and/or modifying procedures to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Serve as an operational and technical resource for all AH-GSM in the communication and resolution of purchasing systems issues; negotiate a successful resolution to problems or concerns; educate customers about process and technology of supplier management functions. Work with AH-GSM colleagues to ensure compliance with global standards.
- Enforce compliance with all AH-GSM policies and procedures by using a data-driven business case approach.
- Provide support for the Supplier Diversity & Development Program and engage in goal establishment, action planning, and financial/quantitative reporting, as required.
Additional responsibilities are as follows:
- Supplier and Supply Market Analysis – To conduct rigorous market intelligence and detailed supplier and supply market analyses, to provide deep and meaningful insight to Sourcing teams.
- Cost Modeling / Cost reduction – To construct detailed cost models/purchase price analysis of goods and services that are supplied to our company. At times, this will require supplier visits to create a complete understanding of the cost structure of suppliers and develop cost reduction opportunities.
- Supplier Performance Management – supplier performance monitoring, root cause investigation, issue management, risk assessment, and mitigation
- Strategic Analysis – To conduct up to six types of project analysis which transforms the information gathered from 1) and 2) above into insightful, well-structured breakthrough options and opportunities. Examples include Portfolio Analysis, Supplier Referencing, and Day One Sourcing.
- Financial Analysis & Reporting – To prepare analysis and reporting of category spend, savings, compliance, and other metrics data on a monthly basis. To support the annual budget/profit planning process for the category at the global level. To maintain financial reporting and management systems (including SAP) with up-to-date data on an ongoing basis.
- Negotiation Planning – To create detailed pre-negotiation plans, lead and participate in any prolonged negotiation sessions with suppliers, and to conduct post-negotiation debriefs and follow-through plans.
- Sourcing – To create and execute RFIs, RFPs, and e-Auctions, together with subsequent structured information analysis wherever possible using electronic procurement processes.
- Risk Assessment and Mitigation – To conduct an effective risk assessment (including Financial Solvency Analysis, compliance with FCPA, Business Partner Code of Conduct, etc.) and establish appropriate risk mitigation plans within the supply base pursuant to Manufacturing Division’s risk management framework.
- Category Team Membership – To be an active member of one or more category teams using the techniques and content created in above as input in the creation of breakthrough strategies delivering cost reduction targets.
- Sharing of Learning’s – The incumbent will be expected to generate work of world-class quality and share and transfer this to colleagues throughout AH-GSM.
Required Education & Experience
- Candidates must be currently in sophomore or junior level curriculum, pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in business (such as Finance or Management), Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing, Market Research, or a Science-related discipline (Engineering, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or Bioengineering).
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents of the U.S.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Candidates should have prior pharmaceutical industry experience or any fortune 500 company experience is helpful but not required
- Candidates should have knowledge of MS Office – Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Candidates should have strong personal character and ethics
- Candidates should have superior interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels
- Candidates should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to make clear and concise presentations
- Candidates should have excellent Academic Achievement
- Candidates should have strong data collection, analysis and reporting, and project management skills
- Candidates should be a good team player and ability to work independently with a passion to solve problems and a drive for results
- Candidates should be quick learners and motivated to cultivate technical, business, and commercial skills by applying their knowledge within our company’s environment
- Candidates should have a high degree of flexibility and adaptability to deal with ambiguous and dynamic situations
- Candidates should have demonstrated the ability to work well with people from many different disciplines
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is dedicated to being the most trusted supplier of biopharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create a reliable global manufacturing network that’s devoted to delivering a high-quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, the USA in the United States and Canada, and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.