Today, with our current team members, we have the strength to help you grow in any career direction you want, whether in our stores, distribution centers, manufacturing facilities or our Midwest corporate offices. It’s your future, maybe it starts with Meijer.
Please review the job profile below and apply today!
A career at Meijer is so much more than just a paycheck. Meijer was built on one family’s dream with the goal of helping people and now more than 85 years later that’s exactly what we’ve done and will always do. Today, Meijer is the 19th largest privately held company – with more than 70,000 team members across six Midwest states. As the pioneer of the “one-stop shopping” concept, Meijer values innovation and fresh ideas from each and every Team Member. Meijer also offers countless opportunities for professional career growth, personal enrichment and truly invests in your success. Whether you join one of our retail stores, distribution centers, or corporate offices, as a Meijer Team Member you become more than just an employee…you become a member of the family.
Meijer is seeking candidates for finance internship opportunities! Join our program to get experience in your field while also learning more about the retail industry and the breadth of career opportunities that support the shopper experience. Your internship will include interaction with other interns, experts in your area of study, and Meijer senior leadership.
The internships will allow participants to gain a breadth of experience in the accounting function of a retail enterprise, with focus on one of two possible areas:
The Audit team is responsible for conducting various financial, IT, operational, and compliance audits. The intern will gain experience in identification of risks and internal controls to mitigate those risks. The intern will also have the opportunity to use and interpret results from Meijer’s predictive, statistical modeling tool.
· Participating in planning, scoping, execution and reporting of audits
· Identifying and documenting financial, technological, and business risks; related controls; and refinement of existing audit programs
· Executing and performing audit procedures to ensure controls are in place
· Summarizing and delivering results of audits in written and verbal form, including presentation to management
· Running statistical experiments, interpreting results, and presenting results to internal stakeholders
The Financial Planning & Reporting team has responsibility for developing and providing appropriate reporting and information to control business operations.
· Participation in financial scorecards, statistics and analysis that evaluate various strategic models and proposed business solutions
· Providing cost accounting support for Meijer’s growing manufacturing operations, including COGS and inventory valuation
· Financial statement preparation and analysis.
The Corporate Tax team has accountability for preparing and filing business income tax, sales and use tax, fuel tax and property tax compliance and projects.
· Analyzing data and preparation of various schedules to complete tax filings
· Conducting tax research and applying results to various tax issues
· Analyzing workflows with the goal of implementing process improvements
The Financial Operations team is responsible for supporting and reporting financial transactions for our stores, supply chain and corporate offices to control business processes and operations
· Processing and analyzing payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and customer transactions with electronic tenders such as debit and credit cards to ensure proper financial reporting.
· Reviewing transactional processes and analyzing workflows for efficiency and using automation tools to maximize accuracy and time savings.
· Supporting other Meijer business functions with imaging, travel, and mail services.
The Meijer Internship Program is an experiential education program designed for students currently enrolled in a degree program, who are considering future careers in this exciting field. If you are not currently enrolled in a degree program, please search our site for other positions of interest.
· Progress toward a bachelor’s degree in accounting (preference junior level candidate).
· Course completion in Audit and Financial Accounting prior to the internship is preferred
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Attention to detail · Drive for results – has focus on the bottom line
· Customer focus – dedicated to meeting expectations of internal and external customers
· Relationship Skills – can create positive working relationships with customers, team members, leadership, and other internal and external constituencies
· Communication Skills – conveys the right information in writing and verbally