WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
You’ll work in one of our offices in North America for ~10 weeks in the summer.
You’ll work as part of a project team, collaborating with colleagues to solve high priority business problems. When you join McKinsey as a First Year Summer Business Analyst (FYSBA), you are joining a firm that will challenge you and invest heavily in your professional development.
In this role you will have the opportunity to work on high profile McKinsey projects on a variety of topics. You will also work with a range of experts in the firm, from data scientists to researchers to software and app designers. You’ll join a community of caring colleagues for social, networking, and learning opportunities.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You’ll work in teams of typically 3–5 consultants, playing an active role in all aspects of the engagement, owning a distinct piece of the project.
This may include gathering and analyzing information, formulating and testing hypotheses, and developing and communicating recommendations. You’ll also have the opportunity to present results and implement recommendations in collaboration with team members.
Some examples of your work may include interviewing stakeholders and experts, leading teams, building financial models, creating and delivering presentations, and working with McKinsey subject experts to develop perspectives and insights.
McKinsey is deeply focused on learning and personal development and we want to ensure you are given the right training and experience to be set up for success post-graduation. As an FYSBA, you will participate in learning modules throughout the summer as well as a range of social activities to get to know your office and the firm. At the end of the summer, you will lead a presentation during the FYSBA symposium with your peers, showcasing your accomplishments and key learnings. You may also receive an offer to join us as a Sophomore Summer Business Analyst (SSBA) for the following summer.
You’ll gain new skills and build on the strengths you bring to the firm. FYSBAs receive exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues on their teams. We start our support for FYSBAs before the summer with an optional pre-internship program in the spring during which we focus on skill building and forming a peer community of FYSBAs. Once you join, you are provided with a week of training, and a partner from your local office or practice is assigned to you to help guide you throughout your internship.
- First year of an undergraduate student at one of the following institutions: CUNY, Duke, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Harvard, Howard, McGill, Michigan, MIT, Morehouse, Northwestern, Princeton, Queen’s University, Spelman, Stanford, University of Calgary, Université de Montréal, University of Pennsylvania, University of Texas – Austin, University of Toronto, Yale; expected graduation date of winter 2024 or spring 2025
- Self-identify as Black, Hispanic, Latinx, and/or a member of an Indigenous group native to North America
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English and the local office language(s)
- Strong commitment to excellence and personal and professional growth
- Demonstrated outstanding academic performance and an aptitude for analytics
- Strong record of initiative-taking and leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
- Resourceful, intellectually curious, empathetic, poised, high energy and mature
- Genuine interest in business and find problem solving exhilarating
COVID-19 vaccination mandate: Employment with McKinsey & Company, Inc. in the United States and Canada is conditioned on proof of full vaccination against the COVID-19 virus (with a WHO-approved or Health Canada-approved COVID-19 vaccine, as applicable) or approval of an exemption due to a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief prior to start date.