Proposed Salary Range$ 80,000.00 – $100,000.00 (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) is a New York City oversight and service agency that manages procurement citywide, from planning and release of agency solicitations to payment of vendors. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS therefore aims to ensure that the procurement process remains fair, transparent, efficient and cost-effective.
MOCS makes it easier to do business through use of end-to-end technology tools, increases transparency by publication of enriched data and hosting public hearings, and strengthens procurement operations by providing direct assistance and resources to all stakeholders. MOCS also partners with agencies and vendors to identify areas for policy reform, resulting in ongoing process improvement to reduce administrative burdens and increase the positive impact of services on communities. The MOCS Director serves as the City Chief Procurement Officer.
MOCS team members operate in a fast-paced, collaborative, service-oriented environment, where flexibility and ability to achieve results are valued. Supervising Reporting Analysts conduct all duties relevant to analysts in their assigned division, demonstrate an advanced level of expertise, and may coordinate a defined area of work which involves other staff contributors. Supervising Reporting Analysts are given greater latitude for decision-making, assume increased responsibilities and may train and provide ongoing support to other analysts. All MOCS analysts are expected to deliver timely and quality work products and services, participate in ongoing improvement activities, proactively deepen their knowledge of procurement and government operations, and will use modern technology software and hardware to complete daily duties. Analysts also collaborate with other team members to implement projects, help to maintain and/or analyze operational data, and interact with external stakeholders.
The Supervising Reporting Analyst will report to the Assistant Director of Enterprise Data Services and with wide latitude for independent judgment will perform the following job responsibilities, which include and are not limited to:
• Leverage data analysis tools and best practice to convert complex analysis into comprehensible format for business users. Data visualization will be an important part of this role.
• Apply custom algorithms to mine and analyze data from databases to drive optimization and improvement of application development and business strategies.
• Define and evaluate KPIs and understand factors influencing their behavior.
• Create efficiencies in automating reporting and analysis tasks.
• Collaborate closely with business and data delivery teams to design analytical approaches, to troubleshoot inefficiencies and to prepare analysis.
• Develop reports and dashboards in MOCS business intelligence tool (IBM Cognos).
• Contribute to presentations for management, stakeholders and executives around projects.
• Be willing to learn the business of MOCS – procurement and contracting – and provide ad hoc analysis as requested.
• Understand data governance standards and implement appropriate auditing and testing practices that adhere to these standards.
• Capacity to oversee development and reporting projects, working with developers and analysts to ensure proper implementation and unit testing.
• Partner with units within MOCS and other City agencies to create data solutions to streamline the procurement process, broadening competition and increasing vendors’ ability and capacity to do business with New York City. This includes, but is not limited to, creating and presenting compelling reports to stakeholders based upon project findings and methods.
• Ongoing professional development to strengthen skills and increase knowledge in relevant areas of procurement, technology, government operations, public policy and people and change management.
• Understand issues affecting relevant stakeholder groups, including but not limited to covered city agencies, Minority and Women-owned Business Enterprises (M/WBEs), nonprofits, etc.
• Special projects, as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
• A master’s degree from an accredited college in economics, business or public administration, management science, operations research, organizational behavior, statistics, sociology, political science, mathematics, public policy, computer science or a closely related field; with at least one (1) years of related work experience, or
• A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and demonstrated equivalent expertise in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization, with at least three (3) years of related work experience.
• Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills; experience with empirical methods and data analytics including working with large, complex data sets, building applied statistics or econometrics models, and/or conducting research.
• Experience with advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
• Capacity to implement and evaluate variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree, learning, artificial neural networks, etc.). Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
• Experience using AWS: Redshift, S3, Athena, SageMaker, etc.
• Experience with data visualization packages and tools such as D3 or ggplot strongly preferred.
• Familiarity with geo-coding in Mapbox or CartoDB strongly preferred, including experience with shapefiles and geographic coordinates.
• Demonstrated experience with IBM Cognos or other BI tools (PowerBI, Tableau) preferred.
• Familiarity with data models, database design, ETL development, data mining and segmentation techniques desired.
• Proficiency in SQL Server, MS Excel (Pivot, Advanced functions: INDEX/MATCH, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, etc.), MS Access, MS Project, Visio and other products in MS Suite.
• Demonstrated ability to produce and edit documentation: e.g. Report Design Documents, mockups and prototypes etc.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amount of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Familiarity with code version management such as GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab or AWS CodeCommit.
• Ability to take initiative, prioritize duties, problem solve, work independently and within a team environment, pay close attention to detail, meet deadlines, do appropriate follow-up, work well under pressure and maintain an enthusiastic work ethic. This includes maintaining a positive and helpful attitude and a proven capacity in project management skills, including organizing and strategic planning.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Adept at queries, report writing, and presenting findings for business audience. Communicates effectively to non-technical teams and thrives in a dynamic environment.
• Critical and proactive thinker willing to work in dynamic environment strongly considered.
• Meet deadlines and work independently while paying close attention to details;
• Establish relationships quickly and maximize positive team dynamics;
• Succinctly and effectively communicate verbally and in writing;
• Distill complex material, present information and make actionable recommendations;
• Accurately and consistently document data on stakeholder experience and escalate critical issues;
• Analyze data and summarize research to support ongoing improvement in operations and service;
• Educate stakeholders about various procurement and government operations topics and tools; and
• Engage and support stakeholders through all phases of procurement and change.
**As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.**
See DCAS Directive No. 2020-2 (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/agencies/directive_2020_2.pdf) regarding residency requirement during the COVID-19 emergency.
The U.S. Department of Education provides student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) to qualifying public service employees. As an employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness should you meet the program’s eligibility requirements. For additional information on PSLFP, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
External Applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID#: 471462.
Current City Employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID#: 471462.
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services is an equal opportunity employer. Mayor’s Office of Contract Services recognizes the unique skills and strengths gained through military service. Veterans and service members of the U.S. Armed Forces are strongly encouraged to apply. Special accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities. Please contact MOCS Disability Service Facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-298-0734 only to request an accommodation. No other phone calls or personal inquiries permitted.
For technical assistance, please use the following supported browsers: Chrome 35 and above, Firefox 24 and above, Internet Explorer 9 and above, and Safari 6 and above. If you encounter any errors, please clear your cache (web browser history). For instructions, please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=NYC_EHIRE_HELP_FL&Action=U&. When navigating this website, you should use only the links and navigational buttons within the pages. Using your web browser’s BACK, FORWARD or REFRESH buttons may cause loss of data or lead to unintentional log outs.
255 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Please note that certain computer-related civil service titles are exempt from NYC residency requirement.