Proposed Salary Range$ 65,000.00 – $ 85,000.00 (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) is a New York City oversight and service agency that manages procurement citywide, from planning and release of agency solicitations to payment of vendors. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS therefore aims to ensure that the procurement process remains fair, transparent, efficient and cost-effective.
MOCS makes it easier to do business through use of end-to-end technology tools, increases transparency by publication of enriched data and hosting public hearings, and strengthens procurement operations by providing direct assistance and resources to all stakeholders. MOCS also partners with agencies and vendors to identify areas for policy reform, resulting in ongoing process improvement to reduce administrative burdens and increase the positive impact of services on communities. The MOCS Director serves as the City Chief Procurement Officer.
The Senior Business Analyst will report to the Assistant Director for Technology Innovation & Solutions in the Technology Strategy division, Office of the CTO. The successful candidate will focus on ensuring that business processes and supporting systems continue to meet business project stakeholder needs. The Senior Business Analyst is a key liaison between the technical IT staff and the line-of-business staff and assist the management team in supervising staff members across the unit, such as the Design and Quality Assurance teams. Hence, this position requires an experienced, detailed-oriented, hands-on senior analyst who will help supervise the completion of key tasks and resources, develop key process models, compose documentation and flowcharts, use data-driven decision making, apply design thinking, and develop test cases, working with subject matter experts and analysts from a variety of backgrounds.
The ideal candidate will not only excel in their duties but design with the end user in mind by working closely with stakeholders, key decision makers and staff to leverage best practices, especially in business analysis, process mapping quality assurance; by applying human/user-centered design principles; and by promoting innovative methods and new technological approaches wherever possible. The ideal candidate, moreover, is a senior member of the Technology Innovation & Solutions unit and supervises various aspects of analysis, design and quality assurance activities across the project.
Responsibilities will include:
Business analysis and design
• Assist management in providing leadership of key analysis and design tasks across the software development lifecycle;
• Supervise analysts, consultants and other staff members under the direction of senior management;
• Document and effectively communicate design ideas to business owners, stakeholders, and vendor teams using flow-charts, prototypes, wireframes, storyboards and presentations as needed and gain alignment across project teams;
• Elicit, document and validate requirements from the City’s key stakeholders, and translate those requirements into solution designs;
• Create user stories and conceptualize future states for user experience, new or enhanced services, and business cases;
• Apply and promote user-centered design thinking throughout the business analysis/design process;
• Apply best practices for system implementation and business analysis in a fast-paced, cloud-based procurement platform implementation;
• Design and develop process and business workflows and assimilate to system-based workflows;
• Participate in discovery sessions to observe, document, and validate business processes and capture key insights using a variety of research methods;
• Analyze integration points between functional business flows and the City’s procurement and financial systems, and serve as a liaison between functional and technical integration teams both within MOCS and externally;
• Collaborate alongside business and technical analysts, project managers, consultants, and system integrator teams to collectively design, develop, and test solutions;
• Compile and develop project documentation, deliverables, and templates, including training materials, and standard forms; performing needs analysis; drafting new materials where needed; testing new materials/forms for usability; and publishing and maintaining tools/templates;
• Use insights from data and analytics to validate solutions and to propose business process improvements and/or changes;
• Analyze and document changes in workflow and business rules driven by executive, legislative, and regulatory changes;
• Manage special projects and initiatives as required.
Quality Assurance and Testing
• Supervise quality assurance testing schedules and resources under the direction of senior management;
• Coordinate and manage release management, production support and system/integration testing activities when required;
• Assist the team in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) planning and management;
• Review business and technical design documentation to identify gaps in analysis and critical areas for testing;
• Review vendor test scripts for thoroughness and accuracy;
• Identify viable test strategies to support testing product functionality;
• Develop test cases using system and business requirements design documents;
• Execute a variety of system, integration, regression, end to end and functional test cases;
• Identify, document, and submit software defects/tickets;
• Work with the maintenance and development teams on retesting software defects/issues;
• Triage and perform root cause analysis on a variety of production and application issues.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
The successful candidate should possess the following:
• Selenium – Webdriver or Selenide experience
• Webservices (REST API) SOA experience
• Exposure to JQuery, Backbone, HTML5, ES6
• Excellent writing, technical and interpersonal skills
• Experience with supervising or managing analysts or small teams
• IT project management experience
• Well versed with Waterfall or Agile Methodology
• Ability to interact with all levels of management and public
• Attention to detail
• Strong experience with MS Office (Excel, Visio, Word, etc.)
• At least 5-7 years of experience as a business analyst, QA/testing analyst or a senior analyst/project manager in a similar capacity
• Intermediate SQL skills (select, insert, update, joins, data types, subqueries/nested queries, etc.) and querying complex datasets with SQL
• Experience using SQL Developer, SQL Plus and FTP clients
• Experience with JIRA
• System, Integration, Regression & End to End testing experience
• Familiarity with SharePoint, HP Quality Center, Remedy and LDAP is a plus
• Exposure to Ivalua software, or an Ivalua software certification
• Previous experience with CGI Advantage, FMS/3, PIP
• Certifications in BABOK, PMP, CSQA, Lean Six Sigma
• Experience in projects related to sourcing/procurement
**As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.**
See DCAS Directive No. 2020-2 (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/agencies/directive_2020_2.pdf) regarding residency requirement during the COVID-19 emergency.
The U.S. Department of Education provides student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) to qualifying public service employees. As an employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness should you meet the program’s eligibility requirements. For additional information on PSLFP, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
External Applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID#: 474787.
Current City Employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID#: 474787.
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services is an equal opportunity employer. Mayor’s Office of Contract Services recognizes the unique skills and strengths gained through military service. Veterans and service members of the U.S. Armed Forces are strongly encouraged to apply. Special accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities. Please contact MOCS Disability Service Facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-298-0734 only to request an accommodation. No other phone calls or personal inquiries permitted.
For technical assistance, please use the following supported browsers: Chrome 35 and above, Firefox 24 and above, Internet Explorer 9 and above, and Safari 6 and above. If you encounter any errors, please clear your cache (web browser history). For instructions, please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=NYC_EHIRE_HELP_FL&Action=U&. When navigating this website, you should use only the links and navigational buttons within the pages. Using your web browser’s BACK, FORWARD or REFRESH buttons may cause loss of data or lead to unintentional log outs.
255 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Please note that certain computer-related civil service titles are exempt from NYC residency requirement.