Proposed Salary Range$100,000.00 – $120,000.00 (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) is a New York City oversight and service agency that manages procurement citywide, from planning and release of agency solicitations to payment of vendors. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS therefore aims to ensure that the procurement process remains fair, transparent, efficient and cost-effective.
MOCS makes it easier to do business through use of end-to-end technology tools, increases transparency by publication of enriched data and hosting public hearings, and strengthens procurement operations by providing direct assistance and resources to all stakeholders. MOCS also partners with agencies and vendors to identify areas for policy reform, resulting in ongoing process improvement to reduce administrative burdens and increase the positive impact of services on communities. The MOCS Director serves as the City Chief Procurement Officer.
MOCS team members operate in a fast-paced, collaborative, service-oriented environment, where flexibility and ability to achieve results are valued. All managers lead teams and/or lines of service, assuming increasing levels of responsibility for the organization’s success. Managers align daily operations to the agency’s strategic priorities, engage stakeholders in planning, and drive performance using well-defined success metrics, along with effective people and project management strategies (including but not limited to the assignment of work, maintenance of performance standards, maintaining baseline staff knowledge and professional development). MOCS maintains a lean staffing model, with managers both supervising and implementing tasks within or across areas of responsibility. All managers are expected to deliver timely and quality work products and services, participate in ongoing improvement activities, proactively deepen their knowledge of procurement and government operations. Managers must serve as principal ambassadors for the organization and are expected to handle confidential matters, promote established priorities, deescalate conflict, and proactively escalate issues along with proposed solutions. Production Support Managers are front-line managers who oversee one or more areas of services and are accountable for the success of an assigned unit.
The Production Support Manager will report to the Associate Director for Business Analysis and Quality Assurance in the Technology Strategy division, Office of the CTO. The Production Support Manager will act as the software release manager, managing the ticketing, tracking and release activities associated with the PASSPort (Procurement Sourcing and Solutions Portal) solution and related applications. This position is a senior-level, key liaison between the system integrator, software developer, and key stakeholders at MOCS.
The Production Support Manager will not only excel in their duties but also seamlessly manage software releases, emergency releases, and all production support test activities for the PASSPort and communicate effectively with all key stakeholders and user groups.
Responsibilities will include:
Management & Communication
• Lead production support team to handle and manage all aspects of the PASSPort software release management activities and coordinate with all key stakeholders for every software release.
• Navigate within a matrixed organization effectively as well as cooperate with outsourced/offshore system integration and software vendor teams.
• Communicate effectively to all stakeholders with qualitative and quantitative metrics on software releases, software downtime/uptime, defect and enhancement tracking, and overall software quality.
• Assist in the scoping, design and development of deliverables that will impact software release timelines and release planning activities.
• Report on planned releases, build candidates, emergency hot fix/break fix, data fix, patches, and software releases, along with any risks, to Associate Director, Business Analysis and Quality Assurance.
• Address effectively agency and vendor-facing issues, with a mindset towards continuous improvement and focusing on addressing the root cause behind issues.
• Develop, manage and implement software release management processes related to:
– Software release and defect management
– Cross-team coordination
– Release documentation
– Release tracking and reporting
• Provide technical application support by troubleshooting and supporting production support issues. This includes following and documenting tickets throughout the entire defect cycle until closed.
• Interface with developers, managers, and customer support staff to investigate, perform issue triaging and problem-solving for reported problems.
• Support the identification of root causes and potential solutions through proven analytical skills and testing. This includes extracting data, running reports, and perform specific analytic functions using the application.
• Manage production support schedules for all application and cross-application software releases.
• Develop and implement communication strategies related to software issues such as check-in meeting, build meetings, release meetings for any PASSPort software releases.
• Lead and manage escalation procedures and ensure service levels are maintained.
• Lead and coordinate with the appropriate teams during unplanned and planned system outages situations.
• Lead scheduling of planned maintenance activities.
• Report the impact of planned maintenance activities to the appropriate stakeholders on a regular basis
• Apply best practices for production support to fast-paced end-to-end Citywide procurement implementation.
Quality Assurance and Testing
• Review planned execution of test activities for upcoming software releases.
• Review vendor test scripts and activities for thoroughness and accuracy.
• Identify viable test strategies to support testing product functionality.
• Work with Quality Assurance to implement QA industry standards/best practices with defined benchmarks and measures.
• Ongoing professional development to strengthen skills and increase knowledge in relevant areas of procurement, technology, government operations, public policy and people and change management.
• Understand issues affecting relevant stakeholder groups, including but not limited to covered city agencies, Minority and Women-owned Business Enterprises (M/WBEs), nonprofits, etc.
• Special projects, as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
A collaborative attitude and strong technical aptitude are important to us, but we believe that a great attitude can help you acquire the technical skills needed to complete the job. With this, it is likely the following skills you already possess or may easily acquire.
• Ability to interact with all levels of management and public which may require strong presentation, and facilitation skills; ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
• Lead multiple teams and personnel, motivating a team to complete tasks and meet deadlines
• Excellent writing, verbal, and proactive communication skills
• Experience working with business teams to translate requirements into analytical models or integration pipelines
• Excited about accomplishing goals and objectives in a team environment!
• Proficiency in writing complex procedures using SQL (T-SQL or a similar dialect)
• Proficiency in understanding of source code control and versioning systems (e.g., GitHub, CodeCommit)
• Experience with runtime environments or container environments (NodeJS, Docker) a plus
• Experience with GIS (ArcGIS, Mapbox, etc.) and mapping data a plus
• Project management experience
• Proficiency in AWS services implementations including S3, Redshift, Lambda, EC2, Glue, and other AWS or AWS marketplace resources.
• Data modeling and engineering for different types of databases OLAP, OLTP, NoSQL
• Experience with integration methods both real-time (e.g., REST, cXML) and flat-file exchanges, including familiarity with and markup languages (XML).
• Familiarity and experience with integration technologies and processes (ETL/ELT) in the cloud and enterprise data warehouse implementations and integration tools (e.g., AWS Glue, AWS Step Functions, Matillion, Informatica)
• Familiarity with New York City’s ERP system and ERP-like architecture and systems ( i.e., FMS, PASSPort, VENDEX, APT, HHS Accelerator, OAISIS).
• Meet deadlines and work independently while paying close attention to details;
• Establish relationships quickly and maximize positive team dynamics;
• Succinctly and effectively communicate verbally and in writing;
• Distill complex material, present information and make actionable recommendations;
• Analyze data and summarize research to lead ongoing improvement in operations and service;
• Define job responsibilities, screen, interview and train staff;
• Supervise, coach and structure ongoing professional development for individuals and teams;
• Facilitate ongoing intra- and inter unit knowledge sharing, team-building and collaboration;
• Convene cross-functional teams for planning or coordination activities;
• Liaise with administrative teams to address human resources or other operational matters;
• Maintain and update knowledge base, records and protocols;
• Represent MOCS in executive forums, conveying priorities and capturing stakeholder feedback;
• Juggle multiple priorities, adjusting subtasks and timelines to ensure goals are met; and
• Serve as project manager for various initiatives, as necessary.
**As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.**
See DCAS Directive No. 2020-2 (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/agencies/directive_2020_2.pdf) regarding residency requirement during the COVID-19 emergency.
The U.S. Department of Education provides student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) to qualifying public service employees. As an employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness should you meet the program’s eligibility requirements. For additional information on PSLFP, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
External Applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID#: 471465.
Current City Employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID#: 471465.
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services is an equal opportunity employer. Mayor’s Office of Contract Services recognizes the unique skills and strengths gained through military service. Veterans and service members of the U.S. Armed Forces are strongly encouraged to apply. Special accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities. Please contact MOCS Disability Service Facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-298-0734 only to request an accommodation. No other phone calls or personal inquiries permitted.
For technical assistance, please use the following supported browsers: Chrome 35 and above, Firefox 24 and above, Internet Explorer 9 and above, and Safari 6 and above. If you encounter any errors, please clear your cache (web browser history). For instructions, please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=NYC_EHIRE_HELP_FL&Action=U&. When navigating this website, you should use only the links and navigational buttons within the pages. Using your web browser’s BACK, FORWARD or REFRESH buttons may cause loss of data or lead to unintentional log outs.
255 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Please note that certain computer-related civil service titles are exempt from NYC residency requirement.