Proposed Salary Range$115,000.00 – $135,000.00 (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) is a New York City oversight and service agency that manages procurement citywide, from planning and release of agency solicitations to payment of vendors. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS therefore aims to ensure that the procurement process remains fair, transparent, efficient and cost-effective.
MOCS makes it easier to do business through use of end-to-end technology tools, increases transparency by publication of enriched data and hosting public hearings, and strengthens procurement operations by providing direct assistance and resources to all stakeholders. MOCS also partners with agencies and vendors to identify areas for policy reform, resulting in ongoing process improvement to reduce administrative burdens and increase the positive impact of services on communities. The MOCS Director serves as the City Chief Procurement Officer.
MOCS team members operate in a fast-paced, collaborative, service-oriented environment, where flexibility and ability to achieve results are valued. All managers lead teams and/or lines of service, assuming increasing levels of responsibility for the organization’s success. Managers align daily operations to the agency’s strategic priorities, engage stakeholders in planning, and drive performance using well-defined success metrics, along with effective people and project management strategies (including but not limited to the assignment of work, maintenance of performance standards, maintaining baseline staff knowledge and professional development).
The Lead Data Engineer is a senior position at MOCS reporting to the Associate Director of Enterprise Data Services. The successful candidate will focus on ensuring the successful implementation of our procurement data warehouse, Business Intelligence and PASSPort solutions. The Lead Data Engineer must ensure MOCS strategy aligns with the enterprise data management and analytics best practices through their own technical solutioning prowess and adept business understanding. This position requires a detailed-oriented, technically savvy manager who will work closely with MOCS business and data teams on the analysis and design of technical solutions focused on integrations and analytics. The Data Engineer Lead will also implement lightweight solutions whether for one-time processes or to improve existing workflows. A combination of attitude and aptitude, this job requires an intelligent leader who enjoys rolling up their sleeves to support the team. This is a great job with a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Responsibilities will include:
• Manage data engineers and developers and leverage industry standards around source code control practices, data architecture and governance.
• Working closely with the Associate Director and CTO of the Tech Strategy division senior management team to support stakeholders across many lines of service within MOCS and outside of MOCS to manage and develop integrations across many systems in the City.
• Be accountable for and contribute to the design mapping, developing, and testing data integrations and engineering for a data warehouses and cloud-based procurement solution
• Work with technical and business teams to map data to sources and target fields/tables during design phase of projects
• Work with team of data modelers to develop conceptual, logical, and physical data models for data warehouse and PASSPort solutions
• Partner with business, system integration teams, and external technical stakeholders to confirm understanding of business needs and strategy, and proposes the appropriate technical options to meet these needs
• Establishes and fosters strong relationships with a broad audience of customers, service providers, vendor partners, technical peers, and management.
• Establish standards, patterns, and practices for technology design and delivery at MOCS, while also providing input and influence on broader organizational standards and initiatives
• Performs project assignments including reviews of design deliverables and approaches by EDS team
• Ongoing professional development to strengthen skills and increase knowledge in relevant areas of procurement, technology, government operations, public policy and people and change management.
• Understand issues affecting relevant stakeholder groups, including but not limited to covered city agencies, Minority and Women-owned Business Enterprises (M/WBEs), nonprofits, etc.
• Special projects, as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
• Ability to interact with all levels of management and public which may require strong presentation, and facilitation skills; ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
• Lead multiple teams and personnel, motivating a team to complete tasks and meet deadlines
• Excellent writing, verbal, and proactive communication skills
• Experience working with business teams to translate requirements into analytical models or integration pipelines
• Excited about accomplishing goals and objectives in a team environment
• Proficiency in writing complex procedures using SQL / T-SQL
• Proficiency in understanding of source code control and versioning systems (e.g., GitHub, CodeCommit)
• Experience with fullstack development highly preferred, especially experience with lightweight applications on an AWS platform or Windows environment.
• Experience with GIS (ArcGIS, Mapbox, etc.) and mapping data preferred.
• Project management experience.
• Proficiency in AWS services implementations including S3, Redshift, Lambda, EC2, Glue, Step Functions and other services within AWS or in the AWS marketplace.
• Data modeling and engineering for different types of databases OLAP, OLTP, NoSQL.
• Experience with integration methods both real-time (e.g., REST, cXML) and flat-file exchanges.
• Familiarity and experience with integration technologies and processes (ETL/ELT) in the cloud and enterprise data warehouse implementations and integration tools (e.g., Matillion, AWS Glue)
• Familiarity with New York City’s ERP system and ERP-like architecture and systems (i.e. FMS, PASSPort, VENDEX, APT, HHS Accelerator, OAISIS).
• Meet deadlines and work independently while paying close attention to details;
• Establish relationships quickly and maximize positive team dynamics;
• Succinctly and effectively communicate verbally and in writing;
• Distill complex material, present information and make actionable recommendations;
• Analyze data and summarize research to lead ongoing improvement in operations and service;
• Define job responsibilities, screen, interview and train staff;
• Supervise, coach and structure ongoing professional development for individuals and teams;
• Facilitate ongoing intra- and inter unit knowledge sharing, team-building and collaboration;
• Convene cross-functional teams for planning or coordination activities;
• Liaise with administrative teams to address human resources or other operational matters;
• Maintain and update knowledge base, records and protocols;
• Represent MOCS in executive forums, conveying priorities and capturing stakeholder feedback;
• Juggle multiple priorities, adjusting subtasks and timelines to ensure goals are met; and
• Serve as project manager for various initiatives, as necessary.
**As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.**
See DCAS Directive No. 2020-2 (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/agencies/directive_2020_2.pdf) regarding residency requirement during the COVID-19 emergency.
The U.S. Department of Education provides student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) to qualifying public service employees. As an employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness should you meet the program’s eligibility requirements. For additional information on PSLFP, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
External Applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID#: 471468.
Current City Employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID#: 471468.
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services is an equal opportunity employer. Mayor’s Office of Contract Services recognizes the unique skills and strengths gained through military service. Veterans and service members of the U.S. Armed Forces are strongly encouraged to apply. Special accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities. Please contact MOCS Disability Service Facilitator at email@example.com or 212-298-0734 only to request an accommodation. No other phone calls or personal inquiries permitted.
For technical assistance, please use the following supported browsers: Chrome 35 and above, Firefox 24 and above, Internet Explorer 9 and above, and Safari 6 and above. If you encounter any errors, please clear your cache (web browser history). For instructions, please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=NYC_EHIRE_HELP_FL&Action=U&. When navigating this website, you should use only the links and navigational buttons within the pages. Using your web browser’s BACK, FORWARD or REFRESH buttons may cause loss of data or lead to unintentional log outs.
255 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Please note that certain computer-related civil service titles are exempt from NYC residency requirement.