Proposed Salary Range$ 80,000.00 – $100,000.00 (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) is a New York City oversight and service agency that manages procurement citywide, from planning and release of agency solicitations to payment of vendors. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS therefore aims to ensure that the procurement process remains fair, transparent, efficient and cost-effective.
MOCS makes it easier to do business through use of end-to-end technology tools, increases transparency by publication of enriched data and hosting public hearings, and strengthens procurement operations by providing direct assistance and resources to all stakeholders. MOCS also partners with agencies and vendors to identify areas for policy reform, resulting in ongoing process improvement to reduce administrative burdens and increase the positive impact of services on communities. The MOCS Director serves as the City Chief Procurement Officer.
MOCS team members operate in a fast-paced, collaborative, service-oriented environment, where flexibility and ability to achieve results are valued. All MOCS Data Engineers are expected to deliver timely and quality work products and services, participate in ongoing improvement activities, proactively deepen their knowledge of procurement and government operations, and will use modern technology software and hardware to complete daily duties. Data Engineers also collaborate with other team members to implement projects, help to maintain and/or analyze operational data, and interact with external stakeholders.
The Data Engineer will report to the Assistant Director of Enterprise Data Services in the Technology Strategy division. The successful candidate will focus on ensuring quality implementation of our MOCS’ Business Intelligence solutions. The Data Engineer must balance the IT and business domains, implement quality assurance methods, and effectively communicate requirements and solutions to all stakeholders. This position requires a detailed-oriented, hands-on manager who will work closely with MOCS business teams and external stakeholders on BI development efforts including analysis and design of integration solutions, data and reporting needs of internal and external stakeholders, and enhancement related to applications and services.
• Organize data and generate insights into business activities in order to enhance procurement and contracting activities in the City of New York
• Design and build successful technical solutions that involve BI Reporting and Dashboarding against enterprise data warehouse, relational tables, and other source systems
• Analyze historical data to identify trends and insights (such as spend analysis and business KPIs) and benchmark against previous performance periods and across the City
• Produce and maintain all related system documentation
• Train end users in the systems and development user documentation
• Support the development of interfaces with external systems that exchange data with MOCS systems
• Oversee team of BI analysts in their day-to-day work and have ability prioritize deliverables and communicate risks
• Track, analyze and resolve tickets entered through Remedy
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
The successful candidate should possess the following:
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Ability to interact with all levels of management and public
• Strong knowledge of programming languages (i.e. R, python)
• Strong knowledge of XML technologies (i.e. XML, XSL, XSD, SOAP, REST)
• Experience in object-oriented languages (i.e. Java, C#, etc.)
• Experience in scripting languages (i.e. VBA, PowerShell, etc.)
• Ability to write complex procedures using SQL / T-SQL
• Proficient with Cognos, including Cognos hierarchies, Facts, Dimensions & various Schemas supporting them
• Expertise with integration technologies and processes, enterprise data warehouse implementations and reporting tools (SSRS), integrating multiple legacy and strategic systems
• Knowledge of testing tools and techniques and executing test scripts to test performance of ETL procedures
• Significant experience in development, maintenance, and enhancements of ETL Mappings, Work-flows, and processes
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
• Excellent analytical, organization, presentation and facilitation skills; ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
**As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.**
See DCAS Directive No. 2020-2 (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/agencies/directive_2020_2.pdf) regarding residency requirement during the COVID-19 emergency.
The U.S. Department of Education provides student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) to qualifying public service employees. As an employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness should you meet the program’s eligibility requirements. For additional information on PSLFP, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
External Applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID#: 465486.
Current City Employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID#: 465486.
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services is an equal opportunity employer. Mayor’s Office of Contract Services recognizes the unique skills and strengths gained through military service. Veterans and service members of the U.S. Armed Forces are strongly encouraged to apply. Special accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities. Please contact MOCS Disability Service Facilitator at email@example.com or 212-298-0734 only to request an accommodation. No other phone calls or personal inquiries permitted.
For technical assistance, please use the following supported browsers: Chrome 35 and above, Firefox 24 and above, Internet Explorer 9 and above, and Safari 6 and above. If you encounter any errors, please clear your cache (web browser history). For instructions, please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=NYC_EHIRE_HELP_FL&Action=U&. When navigating this website, you should use only the links and navigational buttons within the pages. Using your web browser’s BACK, FORWARD or REFRESH buttons may cause loss of data or lead to unintentional log outs.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Please note that certain computer-related civil service titles are exempt from NYC residency requirement.